1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! The love of my life is straight! What should I do?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by StayCalmFlyAway, Jun 9, 2013.

1. StayCalmFlyAway

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone! This is my very first post...and because the situation is so complicated it may be long so I apologize in advance. Well my name is Marrell, I graduate from highschool soon. Ever since freshman year ive had feelings for this one guy, David. Hes absolutely amazing to me. Hes short, Spanish, the valedictorian in our school, sweet, hardworking and athletic. Ive known him for four years and ive come to realize that I am madly in love with him. Hes the one I want more than any guy and because I always have him on my mind it makes it extremely hard to have other relationships.
    So let me explain the complicated relationship we have. When we first started seriously talking it was almost like he liked me one day and completely ignored me the next. We text a lot but he doesn't talk to me in school. But he would tell me all the time that he thought I was sexy and if he was gay I would be his lover. It made me really happy when he said that but then if I tried to talk to him the next day he would sort of go out of his way to let me know he was straight. Sometimes we get into little arguments about why he treats me like he doesn't like me but sometimes hes crazy about me. So after going thru this cycle of him liking me and not liking me, he finally admitted that he was in love with me and the reason why its so hard for him is because hes very religious and hes struggling with the feelings he has for me and the relationship he has with God. I understood this and it was fine. Another thing we talked about is going out with each other. A few times he would say tht he can't take it anymore and wants to be my boyfriend but then 5 mins later he'll make up an excuse about why he can't. All this was really confusing for me because I couldn't understand why he wouldn't just be with me if he loved me like he said he did. So I often question if he really does care about me or not.
    David has a girlfriend now.....and it really hurts because even though they've only been going out for a few weeks, just knowing that hes loving someone else that's not me is really hard to cope with. Hes always texting her and I feel really defeated because I feel like ill always lose the battle because im not a girl. He does call me or text me sometimes to tell me know he still loves me and make sure im okay. He always promised that if things didn't work out with his girlfriend then he would be willing to go out with me and see how far we can take our relationship. But im honestly under a lot of stress and I just don't know what to believe or what to do. I love David so much and all I want is him, its hard to let go because something is telling me that hes the one. I could be stupid but I don't know. Im just hoping that someone here could please give me guidance. Thank you so much guys. I appreciate it! :icon_bigg

2. Aldrick

When I saw the title of your thread, I was prepared to give you the standard answer of, "Don't waste your time on straight men." However, in this case it seems that he really isn't straight at all. He's telling you he loves you, that he would like to have a relationship with you, and the only reason he doesn't is because he's struggling with his sexual orientation. That means at the very least he's bisexual, and even more than that - he's saying he's into you.

I'm guessing that he knows you're gay, right? I'm also assuming that most of the school knows you're gay, correct? If this is the case it would explain why he doesn't really want to hang around you when other people are around. Individuals who are in the closet are often afraid of being seen with someone who is openly gay, because they're afraid that people will assume they're gay. They're trying too hard to maintain an image of being straight, and anything that could compromise that image is frightening.

Honestly, I wish I had some good advice that could make everything turn out the way that you want, but the truth is everything boils down to him becoming comfortable with himself. He needs to deal with his own internal fear and homophobia. This is something that could take weeks, months, or years.

Instead of seeking a relationship with him, I'd instead focus on trying to be a good friend, and I'd see what I could do to help him confront his feelings. Once he's willing to admit that he isn't 100% straight, and becomes comfortable with this idea; then maybe - depending on the circumstances at the time - you might attempt to pursue a relationship with him.

But until he's prepared to accept that he isn't 100% straight, and is willing to confront his fears you're just going to end up getting your heart broken.

3. Rexmond

He shows clear indication of being gay, and like you said is most likely in the denial stage because of religious beliefs and upbringing. Have you tried recommending this site for him so that he will be able to get some advice for himself? He is probably going through a lot of difficulties and can't find anyone to talk to about it (which is why he told you - he had no one else, and you being gay made it easier for him to do so).

4. StayCalmFlyAway

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh wow thank you. You have no idea how helpful your words are to me! So you're saying that I should just stay friends with him and if he decides to pursue a relationship with me that would be fine but if not I should just leave it alone? And yes he knows im gay and pretty much the whole school knows too. So what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I guess I just don't know how to deal with the feelings of wanting to be with him but knowing I can't really. Is there a way I can prepare my mind and heart to accept the situation as it is now and hope that someday it will change?

5. Aldrick

If you love someone you want them to be happy. Your friend needs someone who he feels comfortable with talking to about what he is going through; he needs someone to help him sort through the feelings he is having. I wouldn't look for a relationship at the end of the process, because that's an ulterior motive, and it could be incredibly frustrating if he takes YEARS to get comfortable with who he is...

Your happiness also matters. I would see him only a friend until such a time that he is ready to begin accepting himself for who he truly is, but by that time you may have moved on romantically with someone else. As you move on romantically with your life, if he truly loves you - and sees this happening - then maybe it'll give him the courage he needs to step into authenticity. Or maybe not.

Or maybe he does accept who he is, but then decides to go on to be with another guy. That should be okay too - after all, you want him to be happy, right? It's not your ideal outcome, but if you love someone in the right way you want them to be happy - even if that source of happiness doesn't come from you. (Though there is certainly nothing wrong with being jealous or saddened that things didn't work out as you'd hoped.)

One thing that may help is for you to discuss your feelings, and how you dealt with your issues surrounding being gay. Actively seek out opportunities to have discussions with him about LGBT issues, and look for ways to get him to indirectly open up. Questioning him directly isn't likely going to work out well, because emotionally he may not be ready to face it... though he's already admitted a lot to you, so he may be closer than we think.

It's important to understand that accepting your sexuality basically follows this model: denial -> bargaining -> anger -> depression -> acceptance. He definitely isn't in the final stage of acceptance, which means he's in one of the earlier stages. If I had to guess it would be the bargaining stage.

The more you share with him, and the more he feels comfortable opening up to you; the closer your friendship will likely grow.

6. StayCalmFlyAway

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well its definitely hard to deal with. But this gives me a whole new perspective. Thank you so much! You were a HUGE help! :slight_smile:

7. 2112

Pray the straight away :lol:

Seriously, he sounds like he's definitely gay too, or at least bi. He'll accept it eventually.