1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So annoyed with my dad and my sister

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by hhj399, Jun 12, 2013.

1. hhj399

hhj399 Guest

Mid year exams for school started on Tuesday and I had to study for my English one. I was really stressed out because I had to write two essays in two hours and English is my weakest subject. The night before my exam at about 9:30 pm I was watching a show on TV since I had finished studying and was going to bed soon. My dad walks in and says that I should be going over my English work. I told him that I had finished and he's like, "Well you better get a good mark then." He knows I'm not great at it and that I was worried about it. It would have been nice if had had said something along the lines of "do your best". The next day I had my English exam and my dad didn't say anything about it before he left to go to work. He didn't even say "good luck" like my mum did. When he got home he didn't ask how I went. Also my dad drinks a lot, which really irritates me. He will usually drink from the moment he gets home from work until he goes to bed. He becomes really argumentative and if he drinks too much he will yell at my mum, sister or me for things that happened in his childhood. I heard him tell my mum the other day. That he probably should drink less. Then he said he might not though because he would either have to give it up completely or not give it up at all. It really annoys me because he doesn't even make an effort.

Anther thing that really irritates me is he complains about money. Last year my parents had some money trouble because the people who were renting out our old house stopped paying rent. I never asked my parents to buy me something because I knew they wouldn't be able to. But my dad would talk about things he wanted to go out and buy. He would also say things like "You probably need a new guitar. Too bad we don't have the money". Why would he say that to me, it's so frustrating. During that time my dad would also yell at me if I did something wrong and always try and make me feel guilty by mentioning the money issues and saying that I'm ungrateful and take everything for granted. He does hardly anything to help around the house but he thinks it's ok to accuse me of being ungrateful. My sister and I help my mum load and unload the dishwasher, we cook dinner once a week and we help fold the washing, plus we look after out pets, and he just sits at the computer playing minecraft and drinking wine.

My sister bosses me around and thinks she owns me. I had today off school since I had no exams so I studied for most of the day and then watched 3 videos on YouTube that went for about 3-4 minutes each. When my sister, my brother and his friend got back from school she yelled at me because I hadn't finished preparing something for them to eat. It only had like 10 minutes to go and my brother and his friend had to get changed out of there school uniform so I didn't see it as a problem. While I was in the kitchen, my sister went to the study and looked at the internet history on the computer I was on. Then she yells at me because I was on YouTube. She watches a lot more YouTube than me but I always get blamed when the internet usage runs out.

It's so annoying because whenever I try and tell my parents about the way my sister speaks to me, I usually get yelled at for complaining. At least my mum listens to me some of the time.

2. tryhtwfr

(*hug*)

That's family for you! I do hope your English Exam went well but you mention your dad lashes out at you and mentions his childhood? Did anything specifically happen to him as a child which makes him take it out on you as it seems you're having a tough life. And, I'm shocked - I didn't even know Australians had an internet usage cap (excuse my ignorance). In addition, how old is your sister, you should stand up to her and accentuate that you are both equal. How about your mum, what is she like?

3. hhj399

hhj399 Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. My English exam went well. I managed to finish it with 10 minutes left. My dad grew up in a large family and they didn't have that much money. He yells at me because he thinks that because I didn't have the same life as him and I'm lucky enough to have a phone, Internet, etc and because I've been able to travel overseas at a young age. He thinks that it makes me ungrateful. My mum told him he should speak to someone about it but its hard enough to get him to go to a doctor let alone a psychologist.

My sister is 2 years younger than me. She acts like such a brat. She talks to everyone in the family like trash and then she gets upset when she gets into trouble. My parents have spoken to her about her attitude but it's still the same. What annoys me the most though, is she goes snooping around throught my stuff to try and find an excuse to yell at me. Also today I was getting some cordial from the pantry and she stopped and asked me what I was doing in a really controlling tone. I also have a brother but he's 9 and we get along well. I think one of the reasons my sister speaks to me the way she does is because she envies the bond between me and my brother. I have more in common with him than I do with her.

In the past my mum and I used to always fight but that was mainly due to my depression. We get along really well now but she can't really do anything about my issues with my dad. If I talked to her about it she would tell him and I don't really want that to happen. Also I have trouble talking to people about anything. If I do it's usually one of my close friends instead of my family. My mum actually made me see a psychologist a few times but I told her that I didn't want to go anymore.

In Australia we have pretty good Internet but most people have only abo 200 gb of downloads available although some people do have unlimited. But because my family and I live in a new area the only Internet that is available is wireless which means we can only connect one computer to it at a time and we can't use it on our iPads or phones. It's actually really frustrating because we only get 15 gb of downloads a month and it runs out pretty quick.

Thanks again for the quick reply

#3 hhj399, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013