1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Third Date Rule

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AaronMed, Jun 12, 2013.

1. AaronMed

Hey guys,

So I've heard that there's a Third Date Rule that says you're generally supposed to have sex on the third date - is there truth to this?

Also, where would be a good place? Don't laugh, but would my Jeep be okay when the time comes? I can't bring him to my house because our walls are thin and hearing us would make my dad really uncomfortable, lol, and his place isn't really an option, so I'm kinda at a loss on that front...

Any ideas, suggestions, comments, or advice?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Fuck the "rule": have sex when you and he both want to have sex, and not a date sooner.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might be custom among many people, but it's certainly not a requirement. I know couples that have gone together for weeks or months before having sex, and I know people that have sex on the first date (and there's often no second date.) So as far as timing, do it when you're ready, and don't get pushed into it if you're not :slight_smile:

As for location... people have used cars since there were cars. Same with parks, "lovers lookouts" and other such places. It all depends on what's in your area where you can have privacy and be unobtrusive. Something classy is a bonus :slight_smile:

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...there's always camping! :grin:

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, I knew my current partner about 4 years before we even dated...though once we did, well, we got into things pretty quickly!

I don't think there's any rule about a 3rd date...do what feels most natural.

The first time I did have sex with a guy, it was in my first car, a hatchback where the seats folded down. We 'parked' late at night on a fairly remote lake, nothing but the sounds of loons, frogs, insects. The moon was full. Looking back, all in all, it was just about perfect, despite how awkward we felt.

6. LD579

For what it's worth, I've never heard of this rule. Don't worry about it ; )

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll echo what others say: forget the "rule." Have sex when the time is right for you, not some rule the sheeple insist on.

I guess your Jeep would work...but I'd try for other locations first. Particularly since it's time #1. You should have someplace comfortable.

Is the problem with your home ONLY that your dad could be uncomfortable? That is, you haven't been given any hard and fast "you will not have sex in this house under any circumstances!" lectiure? If discomfort is the only issue, you might just find a time when your parents will be out for a long time. This might be a good time to consider treating them to tickets for two to some cultural event they've been dying to go to.

Another option would be a motel. A classic choice for having sex when you can't do it at home, particularly those having an affair. One motel in my area is even flexible enough to offer hourly rates. Or at least they did the last I heard. Obviously a motel costs more, but I'd think a cheap motel would be good enough. It would, I think, be worth the cost for the first time.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2013 at 12:40 PM ----------

That also could be an option.

I'm not sure how great it would be for Time #1. But it would be memorable, and probably work better than the back of a Jeep.

8. AaronMed

Thanks for all the advice guys :slight_smile:. Is there a socially acceptable maximum amount of time to wait, though? Even if it's not a "rule", there's got to be a point where it's been too long...

Well don't you worry, there's no chance of me being pushed into it if I'm not ready, because I generally have high libido anyway - I'm ready whenever he is :wink: :grin: :lol:.

Any suggestions?

Good point. Speaking of which, at risk of sounding too explicit, what's the best position to start with?

Haha, nope, never got that lecture! In fact, my mom and dad when I came out a week ago said to me that it's as much my house as it is theirs, and that I could have whoever I wanted over any time I wanted :slight_smile:. I didn't think of that, but that's not a bad idea! Maybe after I've been on three dates with the guy I'm dating, I'll let them know things are serious and say I want to have him over. Now that I think about it, I could just ask them to go out and I know they'd be okay with that - there's this spicy restaurant called Montfort's that they like to go to sometimes when I'm out, so maybe it could be date night for them too!

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard of the rule, but I'll "do the deed" as I'll put it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, when me and him both feel ready.

10. TimTomC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lol... I've heard of that, I would only do it, if it was a very serious relationship, and you guys loved each other.

Also sex under the stars, would be nice.

11. AaronMed

Well I think I love him, so I'll just wait to find out whether he loves me (I sincerely get the feeling he does) and then go from there :slight_smile:. I remember on our first date that in the middle there was like a two-minute silence, but it wasn't awkward - we just gazed into each other's eyes, and at that moment I think we were both truly happy. That was the deepest connection I've ever felt towards another human being. It was amazing <3 :slight_smile: :kiss: :icon_bigg

That's really romantic, I'd totally do that :slight_smile:. Where do you get these awesome ideas? Haha

12. TimTomC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My penis. :x

13. AaronMed

I can think of a few dirty things to say right now! :wink: :lol: :grin:

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

15. AaronMed

Lmao, oh, you're a funny one! :lol:

I probably will :slight_smile:.

Ew, lol, that's got to be the one thing I'm not into! :lol: Realistically, I'll probably start with oral and see where things go :wink:.

Good point! Yep, makes everything harder except for that one thing, which actually gets softer :lol: :grin:.

How much, would you say?

16. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

17. AKTodd

Er. Hopefully this is totally irrelevant, but I notice the OP is in Canada. I don't know about Stony Creek, but in Alaska (where I come from) at this time of year the mosquitoes pretty much have their own air force and are known to carry off large dogs and small children...(ok, kidding...small dogs and infants). It's also daylight about 20hrs a day and even the 'night' isn't very dark.

The upshot of this is that sex outdoors under the stars (while romantic) can potentially involve lots of visitors with too many legs and a tendency to bite in (ahem) sensitive places. BTW does Stony Creek get wood ticks...?

Personally, I'd suggest a mid-price motel or hotel and (if you really want to go all out) enough time to let you both play at leisure multiple times (the bed(s), the shower, wherever else looks fun) and relax in between (at least overnight and maybe the weekend). You and (and presumably your guy) are young and I'm assuming that once is simply not going to be enough. So might as well plan accordingly.

If you can find a place that has big sliding closet doors that are mirrored, so much the better :thumbsup:

An advantage of this is that you can be comfortable and have fun without feeling self-conscious about your parents being in the house or coming home in X number of hours.

Then again, maybe this is more like Date Four material. I'm told I have a tendency to occasionally overplan/overdo things...

Todd:slight_smile:

18. AaronMed

Lol, so true. :lol:

Lol, you Americans, you can't ever spell Stoney in Stoney Creek because in your dialect there's no e, but in ours there is :lol:.

Alaska is actually about 3500 miles west and 2000 miles north of Stoney Creek, so your weather conditions are gonna suck way worse that ours! :icon_bigg Mosquitoes aren't too bad around here, long as you're not deep in the forest, you don't usually see them around, haha. And that's why they invented bug spray :slight_smile:.

Lol, sounds rather unpleasant! Haha, we don't really have a lot of insects around here - long as you watch out for red ants, it should be okay :slight_smile:.

True, I'm 20 and he's 18, so we both have pretty high sex drives :wink:. I can probably realistically get my parents out of the house for like five hours maximum - I'll tell them to go catch dinner and a movie :slight_smile:. I imagine we can do quite a bit in that time :wink:.

Lol, but I'd feel so self-conscious seeing myself! :icon_redf :lol: :grin:

Perhaps :slight_smile:.

19. ChristianHipstr

Ummm.. I don't know what you think "us Americans" speak, but to my knowledge it's English and with a southern dialect, I add an "e" to "stoney".

As for advice... I am a virgin, but I just want to say, my ideal first time with a guy would have to be camping or, more publicly, in like a plain or meadow at night. Getting goose bumps thinking of how romantic that'd be! As for my first time with a girl I've always thought of sunset on a beach.

Anyways, maybe this helped, but probably didn't. Just me being my hopeless romantic self :grin:

20. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless you're an asexual couple.