1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't understand the whole "love" concept

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by tryhtwfr, Jun 13, 2013.

1. tryhtwfr

So, why do people think it's a bad idea to say "I love you" to a boyfriend/girlfriend of a few weeks? Does this mean that people settle to love people or they just put up with the person as there is no one else out there?

And when is the best time to say "I love you" ?

2. Keegan24

"I don't understand the whole "love" concept" Join the club :icon_bigg

No in all seriousness I think this "fear" of the love word has something to do with young people not wanting to commit themselves fully to any one person, and there is nothing wrong with that. It just seems like a big thing cos the media represents love as this be all and end all thing that means settleing down or getting hurt.

Wouldn't put too much thought into it though, however the best time to tell someone you love them is when you are sure you have reached that level, If you can be sure then it is likely the other person feels it aswell (*hug*)

Hope I helped!

3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Love is a rather tricky word, because there are many forms of love (you don't love your grandma the same way you love that second date person or your cat or your niece or your bff or the person you've been married to for 20 years etc...).
    I think the original caveat of waiting more than a few weeks of dating is based on the fact that in many cases, you may like the time you've spent with that new person, you may feel a sexual attraction, but it's still early to determine if you "love" them - that and the fact it's soo open to interpretation and the other person often gets the wrong idea ("that was fun let's do it again next Saturday" vs "I want to quit my job and move across the country to be with you" and all the in-betweens).

4. nyc

nyc

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My opinion is you don't just use the word like its any other word, and you should only say it when you honestly love them, then the first time you say it it means something and I guess if you've been in a relationship a while when you say I love you it's special, it will actually mean somthing, but that's just my opinion :slight_smile:

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been told that the L word is a big issue amongts the LGBT set...major topic I've been trying to get a handle on myself.

There's a lot of pain when my BF recounts his past relationships, he accepted being gay more than 20 years ago and he has always tried to have long-term relationships, but after many failed attempts, he is wary of saying the word...

More on this later...

6. tryhtwfr

I'm glad I'm not the only one but it's like saying 'I love you' is taboo and should only be said after x amount of time. Doesn't anyone instantly feel like they love someone when they first talk to someone and have such a great connection or is that just 'crushing'?

7. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Love. "I just love that make-up", "I just love the way you did that" and what I hear a lot "I love my car"
    Yet when it comes to saying to your boyfriend/girlfriend you have to be careful? I don´t get that. There are different ways to love there are different ways to express love, and the word in itself is not that important.
    I believe in connection. I believe loving is giving and caring. Love is something you FEEL. It´s not about the word.

8. Femmeme

A big part of any intimate relationship is separating who our partner really is from who we think they are. It takes time to let go of the fantasy and let the real person shine through, just like it takes time for the mask of best behavior drop. Real love is about knowing someone; flaws and failings and warts and all, and accepting them and embracing them exactly as they are. Knowing someone on that level takes time. Now add in the dopamine and oxytocin rush of a new relationship and things get really confusing. The mix of best behavior, fantasy and neurochemical soup can have you convinced that someone is The One, only to find yourself wondering what the hell you were thinking when those things fade. To tell someone you love them and then quickly turn around and withdraw that love is hurtful, so the common wisdom is to wait till you are certain.