1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm freaking out...help...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chierro, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a Darren thread...

For months I was crushing on him (it actually was like two years). I fell for him and my entire summer was focused on him. The second summer things changed. I annoyed him too much and he got pissed. I thought I was over him but now that he's not coming back...my feelings are back and I'm starting to freak out about it.

I had been perfectly fine. Until today. I thought I knew everything location I'd be throughout my week all summer but my boss changed it to a different place. The first place I ever worked with Darren. There's at least five games...all in the same section...that I can't work at anymore without thinking about him. I've been freaking out all day. I've been thinking about him. At one point I imagined him sitting on the same bench he did two years ago...eating ice cream and smiling to weird me out like he did two years ago.

I can't get over him. I've tried and I've tried but I can't. I want to, but I can't. All day I've felt like I've been having an anxiety attack, I've physically had pain in my chest.

Help? Please...I need help...

2. biggayguy

I don't mean to sound cruel or unfeeling but have you tried anti-anxiety drugs like Paxil? It has helped lessen my anxiety attacks. Yes, anxiety attacks do feel like real physical pain.

3. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean I don't think I need medicine...I just need some way to get through this.

4. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  5. j21b

j21b Guest

This may sound kind of trite, but have you spoken to anyone about this? Just telling someone you know something like this can be very cathartic. More so than talking about it on a forum (at least in my opinion).

6. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would but there's a little problem with that. There's only two people anymore who I can talk about my sexuality with. One doesn't even seem to care anymore and the other...well I'm too afraid he'd think I'm crazy.

7. flight

Do you have any school counsellors you could talk to? Just from personal experience, it's super beneficial to talk to these people since it's confidential. My school has a policy that as long as you don't talk about doing something illegal, harming yourself, or reporting abuse then it's a secret.

I agree with the don't need medicine part. I've had an anxiety problem since I was 6 and now I'm 16 and for those 10 years of my life I've been in and out of therapy. Not once have I been on medication. It really does help. I don't know about programs, but in my city there are free youth clinics that offer counsellors.

If you need someone to talk to my wall is always open! :smilewave

8. Aldrick

Hi BicuriousBoy. (*hug*)

Yes, it does sound like you had an anxiety attack. It's okay though, they're normal. You're going to be alright.

It's likely your feelings came back when you realized he wasn't returning. Then you're surrounded by all this stuff that reminds you of him, which just makes it worse. Basically, it sounds like you're mourning - as if you've lost someone. This is understandable, because in a way you have, but it does get better with time.

So, what can you do in the meantime to start the healing process? Actively move on. This means taking some steps to change your life for the better. One of the worst things you can do right now is to flop down into a state of depression and wallow. Being active in some way is important in keeping you busy, but it's also going to be a way to make new friends and potentially even someone who will return your feelings.

Since you're sixteen and have a job, I'm assuming that you have your own transportation. This is good news because this gives you some freedom. So, what can you do with that freedom?

Well... it depends on where you live. I'd actively look for a LGBT Teen group in your area, if you live outside of a city it might mean you'll have to drive to get there, but it can be worth it. However, let's assume worst case scenario here and that no LGBT Teen group is even remotely near you. This is okay, because this provides you with the opportunity to begin looking into finding some new hobbies and trying out some new things. Think about something you really like and look around for groups of people who share your interest. Chances are you're going to find a group of people somewhere nearby who share the same hobby or interest. This provides you with the opportunity to make new friends - as you already share something in common with them.

Keep an open mind. Look around. The most important thing you can do is get active.

Hopefully this helps, and remember you're going to feel better with time. (*hug*)

9. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    See that's the thing...how do I move on? I've been making friends with some new people at work (who are all around my age) and already have great friends at work (mostly college kids) and have fun times with everyone. But then I start freaking out because I can't get my mind off of him. All my efforts just go to ruin.

And your assumption, Aldrick, is close but false. I go for my license on Wednesday (I've had this job since I was fourteen).

The problem with finding LGBT clubs is...I live in small town, Pennsylvania. No LGBT clubs. One of my favorite hobbies is bowling but I have no time over the summer to join any leagues and even then those leagues would be filled with old men and people I already know.

I'm trying to keep and open mind and just feel better, but you're right: it doesn't honestly feel like I've been in mourning. And I think that's partly where the pain comes from: the realization that Darren and I just will never be friends again...

10. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  11. Aldrick

Once you get your license how far will you be from a city, some place where you'd likely find some LGBT Teen groups?

12. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    An hour maybe, but my parents probably wouldn't let me drive to any cities.

13. Amerigo

^ this.

14. flight

Again, I am going to say try counselling first and use medication as a last resort.

Are there any youth counselors in your area that you can see? Most of them are free and confidential where I live and I don't know what your school counselor is like, but that's always an option as well. Talking to someone is always better than talking to no one. Most of them are pretty good from my experience and everything should be confidential.

I used to have anxiety attacks on a daily basis when I was 6 and 8 to the point where I would be physically ill. Talking to the right people to give you coping mechanisms will really help.

Feel better!

15. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But there are no counselors. I live in a small town. I also would have to come out, something I do not plan on doing anytime soon. I've come out to enough people. And I would prefer no medication at all.

I would talk to some of my friends but I don't want to annoy them with my problems...

I was somewhat calm today. I was at another game that reminded me of Darren... but I tried to keep my cool. The guy I like even came over to talk to me...and I was somewhat out of the way.