1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ugh Father's Day

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Rakkaus, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Ugh, I just found out it's Father's Day tomorrow...that means apparently I have to go with my father tomorrow and I'm really dreading it. He's an insecure egotistical asshole. He's also a major homophobe, I don't really plan on ever coming out to him or anyone on his side of the family, I don't really like even spending time with him cause he's just so sarcastic and crude and not someone I can talk to. The last few times I've spoken to him he's been badgering me about when I'm going to start dating and find a girl to settle down with and get a job to support her with. :rolleyes:

(Of course I have been doing some dating lately, but oh if he found out some of the things that I've actually been doing and having done to me. :eek: :grin: )

But anyway I'm really hoping we just go to see grandparents and then come home, I do not want to go back to his place and have to sleep there overnight. I've hated having to do that since a kid. The only reason he has ever wanted me over is that he wants to assert his dominance as "the father", not because he really cares about me. :bang:

(This day also serves as a reminder that it's been 3 years since my maternal grandfather passed away, who I largely grew up with, and whom I miss dearly. :icon_sad:slight_smile:

How do people navigate when dealing with parents like this? Do you confront them or do you just put up with it and suffer? I remember a few years ago I tried to sorta confront him and get him to talk seriously about how I feel and he laughed at everything I was saying and I gave up on that. Cuz talking about 'feelings' is so gay of course. :eusa_doh:

Does anyone else dread Father's Day as much as I do? :confused:

2. MerBear

My dad isn't a homophobe. He's actually very accepting of the LGBT community but i still hate fathers day because he treats me like a piece of shit and he blackmails me and makes me feel guilty because he keeps a "roof" over my head. I'd rather live on the streets

#2 MerBear, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  3. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I dread it. My dads a homophobe and racist. He said that if me or my sis brings home a black person we are getting disowned. Yeah not my favorite person...
    Definitely not telling him anything, he says he loves me but I know if I came out he'd just disown me. Not that I REALLY care, but I don't feel like being disowned by my whole family just yet. Tomorrow the only guy Thats getting told 'Happy Fathers Day.' is my stepdad, and that's cause I have to.
    I hate males in general, which sucks cause I am gay. Lmao

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Oh gosh that sounds horrible.

Reminds me of the time my father was talking to some uncle of his about some cousin I never met who apparently had a black girlfriend, and he was making some joke about how it could be worse, at least it's a girl, they were all worried he was going to bring home a guy. :rolle:

But yeah if your dad says he is going to disown you based on who you love, then he can't possibly think of that as something a loving father would do if he loved you.

I have to tell both my father and stepfather "Happy Father's Day" just to please my mother. So we just all have to do what we have to do I guess. :confused:

Ah I get what you mean, but you don't hate all males, do you? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I can't really say I hate males, I just can't stand straight males, or more particularly insecure straight males. And I don't get along with either of the two 'father' figures in my life neither of whom I have any emotional connection to nor have ever expressed that they really care about me.

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It's stories like these that reinforce my opinion that respect needs to be earned, that no one is inherently, unconditionally deserving of respect. Parents, family, authority figures, elders--if they don't respect you or they aren't respectable, they don't deserve your respect, no matter what we've been spoon fed to believe to the contrary. Them's my 2ยข, anyway. I can't really contribute to the topic itself because my dad's not that bad. He's moderately racist and refuses to admit it because he had a black best friend growing up, and he has issues with handling frustration, but I don't dread the prospect of seeing him.

6. Gallatin

I'm really dreading Father's Day this year. That wasn't always the case, but over the past few years, my dad has caused a lot of pain for my mom and I, and it sickens me to think I'm going to have to say "Happy Father's Day" to him. As if he deserves it. Originally my mom wanted to take him to breakfast but thankfully I managed to talk her out of it.

7. Split Arrows

I have to say that I love fathers day, because I have a great relationship with my dad. He's always been there for me and supported me. Even when I came out, he said that it was "a lot to process" but that I am his son and his love for me will never change or falter and he will support me in whatever direction my life takes.

My heart goes out to all of you that don't have the paternal relationship that I have been blessed with.

8. biggayguy

My dad lives in Georgia; about 800 miles from Ohio. I don't have to see him or stay with him. We make small talk on the phone around once a week. My parents had a rather nasty divorce. They couldn't be in the same room for a while after the divorce. When I remember all the crap that went on during the divorce it makes it hard to pick out a Father's Day card. Most of the wonderful things the cards say are simply not true for my dad. The best I can say is that he did give me a good childhood by taking me places and doing things with me.

9. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    O God I hate fathers day this year. I have no desire to say happy father's day to my dad but if I don't he will blackmail me with what little money he sends us...and this will be the first father's day without my grandpa who was really the only true male role model in my life. I miss him...

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My father and I have had...a pretty dysfunctional relationship. Terribly so, at times. And thus...Father's Day card shopping is a huge pain. There are few choices left by the time I get done filtering out the "You're the greatest Dad ever!", cards making endless fart jokes, and cards that are uncomfortable due to some family issue. There have been times I've actually had to shop 2, 3 stores for a card, which does not amuse me.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I dread it for different reasons.

I sincerely dislike celebrating the majority of holidays. As such, I have a habit of just forgetting them...

Last year I didn't get my father anything. I assumed he was like me, and didn't care. I was wrong. It "hurt his feelings." This year I made sure to buy him some beer (I mean...what else can I get him but a card? lol), but I suppose I better at least text him tomorrow.

Begrudgingly. :dry:

12. stumble along

I am ambivalent towards fathers day, my dad and I are dysfunctional in that we dont have a father son type of bond because he was gone for long amounts of time working when i was little, even now he's here one week, gone the next, but its been better. He's the only family member that i came out to and nothing has changed, he's smart and not racist, so I can only complain that we aren't "tight"

As for cards my rule of thumb is that if you can't find one that fits the bill, either make one yourself or just don't get one, its all cheesy anyway unless you know he really loves cards. I've actually found out that.I only give cards to people I don't know, people I dislike, and people I really care about.

I also like to give practical gifts too so they feel alittle more personal, even though I don't have a card my dad is a big beer guy, he's got stuff from all over and has good taste (which sucks because now I have good tadte and cant partake in college parties because, well, shit beer) he even told me that he knew I was probably going to drink, and that it was okay eccept i wasn't allowed to drink 'piss'

So what do I get the guy? A book about everything beer and descriptions of 350 exotic beers he can potentially try.

Now mothers day I fucking hate, mainly because 60% of the time I can't stand my mom, she gets cards and its not because I care hint hint

#12 stumble along, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  13. FflewddurFflam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think this should also be called 'Bash a twat day' (For all the ignoramously useless fathers in the world). I couldn't really care less about this day, even if I tried. (Why don't you plan something, in advance? Like going over a friend's house? Then you might only have to text your father, and, even then, you could 'forget').

P.S. Shirley Bassey is the best. I particularly like her latest album.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am the father of three beautiful children who are growing in wonderful and interesting ways.

I am a father, and I have made 76,563 mistakes while bringing them up, well...no one's perfect.

I had a stepfather who I detested.

I buried my own father two years ago, I never knew him, he left when I was very young and I saw or spoke to him only occasionally, but I cried nevertheless when his coffin went into the ground...

15. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

I have a fairly good relationship with my father lately,as he has eased off the whole 'Macho Man' thing, maybe because he suspects me being gay? In any case I am getting him a dog figurine as a present. He prefers elephant figurines, but I couldn't find any.

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2013 at 07:31 AM ----------

The whole "suspects I am gay thing" is actually rather probable, as I have randomly said the word "Fabulous" and "Taste the Rainbow" in odd situations.

16. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Alright so I went with my father to my grandparents.

I gave a card and gift for him for father's day, on my mother's insistence, even though he still hasn't given me either a gift or even a card for my birthday which was 2 weeks ago now.

The whole time we were there he didn't say a word to me.

I was wearing my new glasses the whole time, but evidently he didn't even notice until we got in the car to go home, and he made a snide remark about them.

Then in the car ride he started in on a bunch of bullshit. My cousin who got married last year is apparently pregnant, so he started going on and on about how I have to start to "be a man" and find a girlfriend and wife and have kids so he can be a grandfather. I started to say "why would I want a girlfriend" but changed it mid-sentence to "why would I want kids", to which he responded with more "what kind of man are you" bullshit.

And he's pushing me to go to law school to be a lawyer even though I told him I've told him I have no desire to be a lawyer. But he starts yelling at how I'm a waste and stuff and how I have forget about grad school and go be a lawyer cuz that's where the money is.

After that he doesn't ask, but orders me to be at his house at 10:00 tomorrow to go shampoo rugs or some shit because he doesn't want to have to pay anyone to do it. Of course he lives like way on the other side of town, I don't have a functioning car, nor money for a MetroCard. But when I mention it, "don't even think of asking me for money, after all I've done for you, how fucking dare you, find fucking way to get there".

I kept trying to placate him cuz he had the driver's wheel and I didn't want him to decide to drive to his house right now and force me to stay there, as he was threatening to do. As soon as we got close enough to where I live I just hopped out of the car and walked home from there. He barked out "10 o'clock" as I slammed the door shut, I just waved my hand dismissively and walked away without looking back.

And no, I don't plan on being at his house at 10 tomorrow. Am I wrong to not go? Maybe if he had actually asked and treated me like a human being, but if his pathetic insecure ego won't allow him to do anything but bark crude orders, well that's his problem in my view. Just being around him makes me so stressed and miserable.

17. Amerigo

i think your glasses are nice. i would have complimented them. no actually i'd have been to shy and just ignored you and everyone else, probably just have sat in the corner like i always do, waiting to leave...ugh :slight_smile:

-----------

i can't be bothered for days like this, when my father needs me, i'll be there for him, i'm a decent son (i like to believe), we don't get on too well - so why fake it for one day? i know ultimately he probably won't accept me for "who i am etc.". i don't plan on coming out, i plan on drifting. now i'm just rambling.

#17 Amerigo, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  18. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wouldn't go. Tbh.
    He sounds like a mega-prick in general.

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Rakkus, your father sounds like a jerk.

OK...I know I'm not telling you something you didn't already know...

A few random thoughts:

First, his dream of law school may be more fantasy than anything. Yes, lawyers can get well paid. But there are, the last I heard, more lawyers than we really need. I've heard only the top lawyers can expect to be well off. Even in the late 80s, my mother's lawyer said to me that her practice was such that the only reason she was living as well as she was living was her husband's salary. (And she was driving a Mazda RX7, not a Mercedes SL.) You might point this out next time this topic of conversation comes up.

Although, Rakkus, I will say one thing about you as a possible lawyer: you seem to have a lot of fight with issues you care about (circumcision comes to mind). But law is not the only field where that sort of fight is valuable.

As for your father's dream of grandchildren... This is only based on what you've said in this thread, but I know from what I read that I would not want him spending much time with my kids if he were my father. (And if I had kids.)

And no, I don't think you are wrong not to go and clean his carpets. Why be slave labor to someone who treats you so badly?

I know you don't want to think about future meetings, like next Father's Day... But your comment I just quoted does raise a real concern. In your place, I would not go with him without having a backup plan to get home on your own if things turn really ugly. This could be your mother agreeing to rescue if you things turn ugly. Or else equipping you with a short term loan to cover a taxi if worse comes to worst.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My father had a temper, but I got along with him ok. He could talk feelings. But I know, from friends and others, those who cannot. A guy is not supposed to feel. That's the part about the initial post that bothered me the most about the characterization. It's my mother who has a harder time talking and validating feelings. It has been a big source of stress.

I'm sorry it went along the lines of what you predicted.