1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsupportive "supportive" mother

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sarcastic Luck, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Sarcastic Luck

I ended up telling my mom about my thoughts that I was trans. While she initially seemed supportive, that quickly fell apart. First, she came to me stating that she thought my sense of "duality" was the initial stages of bi-polar showing since my dad is bi-polar and some doctor i never met that she talked to diagnosed me as such when I went manic due to too high of a dose of anti-depressants. I managed to convince her that I'm not.

Today, she came to me stating that she thinks I'm autistic. I'm hesitant to agree, but I can see where she might think that, but there's not too much that can be done about it since if I am, I'd be high functioning and have done fine this long.

Tonight, she came to me and flat said that she thought I was wrong. According to her I'm: not masculine enough (she says she's met women that were more masculine than her husband at the time), I'm too modest (well yeah, I've never really liked my body), my hobbies of taxidermy/fishing don't mean anything, and she doesn't like that I picked a GID specializing therapist and is absolutely certain that my therapist is going to convince me to transition.

All through this she's beat the drum that she wants me to be happy. The only thing she's doing is confusing me worse. Prior to telling her, I thought I was fairly certain. Now, I'm just starting to wonder if I'm trying to do something to seek attention, but then, why would I be happy when I'm confused for a guy and be angry when it's brought up that I do female things like being a mother?

I just have no idea how to convince her to step back and let me figure things out. Any of my arguments that I've made she dismisses. I can stand up to other people, just not her. I thought she was going to support me.