1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is shame keeping me from relationships?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Asari, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi EC! I want to thank you for helping me come out. In a few short months I have come out to most of my friends and started getting involved with the gay community in my town. Most importantly I have started meeting girls. I never thought this would ever happen and I have you all to thank for it! :slight_smile:

Now there are so many crazy things for me to sort through when entering the dating world. I have never dated and have done little more then kiss. I have intense trust issues because of years of trauma and abuse and I am working on sorting that out with my therapist. So if I did start seeing a girl things would have to go very slow.

Also, one thing I've talked about a lot on here is that I was heavily involved in church up until 3 years ago when I decided to leave my bible school. I have been able to accept that I am gay and haven't felt shame about that for a while but now that I have danced with girls, flirted with girls and kissed a girl, the shame is coming back. Every time I am with a girl I feel awesomely turned on, but afterwards i feel anxious and emotional. I just feel dirty. My therapist says I need to be honest about that side of myself that feels shame and not tell it to shut up. It's important to me to be gentle with myself because I know there are many things causing this.

Another factor is that I am amazed that woman find me attractive. I thought I would have to scramble to find a girlfriend because they are so rare. Now I am realizing that I can be picky and I think that is the warning my body is giving me- my body is telling me to be more choosy about the girls I flirt with. But part of me worries this shame will never go away.

It feels so awful i am tempted to self injure again. I haven't done it in months but the feeling of self-loathing is so strong. I have tried putting an icecube on my wrist and that doesn't help.

The gravity of my lack of trust is astounding. When I am in a room alone with someone I am constantly looking at the door and feeling trapped and scared. Is this why? Is it because I am scared that I am hiding under my shame? I am so confused and hurt. Maybe I need to figure myself out a little more and recover from my trauma of being told that I am sinful and the trauma of abuse before I meet any more girls.

Do you struggle with shame? If so how have you recovered?

2. Corradino

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Asari,

I think your religious upbringing will always play a certain part in the back of your mind, but you should recognise this was the "old" you and now you have chosen to leave that in your past and move on. I still feel a little dirty myself, but I have no idea why. I feel that sex can make you feel dirty, while at the same time is one of the most amazing things on earth.

Yes, your therapist is right about being gentle with yourself. Accept your past, but recognise you have moved on.

Don't be amazed people find you attractive, this is life! Flirting is fine, it's fun...but taking things beyond there requires more caution.

I wouldn't over analyse on shame...some people like to keep gay activities more private, for example I don't like holding my boyfriends hand in public even though I love him more than the world. Do you see what I mean?

life isn't so easy as to say "yes I have a problem" and "here is the answer". I feel in life we are always developing and changing. I'd ask yourself the question "am i happier now than I was last year" and start planning from there.

:slight_smile:

3. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is a good point thank you. I think part of it is because I am private and shy too. Maybe I will find a sweet girl that will be patient with me while I sort through it. Part of it won't go away till I have experiences.

4. Corradino

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The right person is always out there, and the thing with depression is that lots of people have been through it...you'd be surprised. You come out of it a stronger person too.