1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Creativity?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clarkec1, Jun 17, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Some people are very creative - they can just sit there for 10 seconds and draw something out of this world of priceless value. Others are still very creative, but they cannot be rushed - they need their time and comfort to produce something truly spectacular. Other people are still on the above average side of creativity, but require a little bit of inspiration from the area and topic they want to make a creative piece on.

It's not just pictures and painting either, and I think that that type of creativity is quite stereotypical that it is the only type of creativity. I am good at drawings and paintings, but I am much better at writing, and do will others be. You can be great at many things that others may not consider creative and talented, but it is your own type of personal creativity, and that's all that matters.

I'd say that I need my time and usually a little bit of inspiration from nature to produce a quality piece of writing, but it's always worth it and I enjoy the pleasure of the read afterwards.

So what about you? Are you in the top 10% for creativity, or do you need your time and patience?

---------- Post added 17th Jun 2013 at 05:58 PM ----------

I've just realised I've posted this in the wrong forum, feel free to move it if you know how to.

#1 clarkec1, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  2. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really creative, but I've hit a major block lately with all the stress in my life. :/

I do agree with the BudderMC though, creativity is something that really can't be quantified. Like I'm great at drawing with any medium and writing and making music, but there are some things I just can't do. Like clay sculpture. I can't do it. It's just too hard.

#2 PurpleRain, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  3. BudderMC

To be honest, I don't think creativity is something that can (or should) be quantified, and certainly not on a measure of "speed at which you can come up with something creative".

I can be very creative; however, I am not at all talented artistically. I can manage the basic concepts of design and I'm a photography buff, but if you asked me to paint a picture or write a poem, you would never receive a finished piece of work from me.

I am also creative in the sense that I love to problem-solve and think outside the box, but again, that's something that wouldn't get measured by what you're asking.

4. chrisV

i can come up with a kickass guitar solo in a few minutes. i guess that counts as creative? but quite honestly, it doesn't matter how long it takes, it's the end result.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel compelled to create things occasionally, so I'd belong to the second type. I can make cool stuff, but it takes me awhile.

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'm quite creative wih regards to writing, but not much else since I'm not artistic.
    I can create wonderful stories, worlds and characters, but only when I have the time to focus on my creativity for the full 100%.
    Being in Uni has severly cut back that possibility so I haven't had much time to indulge my creativity.

7. KnownSecret

If I find a good topic to write about I can be a great writer and I would say I can write pretty creatively :wink:

Other then that my artistic abilities are quite pathetic! I can't draw or make pottery or anything like that, I just never have been able to. I have a good imagination and stuff but drawing wise I can never seem to produce something worth looking at haha..

8. Adarya

I like to think that I am a person that is creative, but sometimes it takes time for me to create and to come up with ideas. Adding onto what PurpleRain said, I feel that stress can highly effect the creative process; it's why I barely find myself drawing and writing during the school year or during another stressful time in my life. I love writing (so I do look at it as a stress reliever , which is completely ironic) and I am probably most creative in that aspect of art. My drawings normally take a while because they look cool only due to the attention to small detail and the patience I put into it.

I agree that creativity is something that can't be quantified. Everyone is different, especially when it comes to forms both in art and logic. What comes easy to some comes especially hard to others, and creativity should never be measured on how fast a person can do something (like draw or write). If anything, creativity should only be measured by the finished product. Even then, I don't think it would be completely right to measure creativity at all.

9. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I guess I'm creative, I write lyrics and music a lot, and I get a lot of ideas for like a drawing or something, or a video or whatver.. but I can't draw at all.. like I'm worse than most elemnetry students

10. FruitFly

I'm not creative, I leave creativity to my family; they're all artists of some kind, and many of them are creative with it. I just let them get on with their creativity and I bumble along doing nothing of creative worth at all.

However I do have a slightly persnickity view of creativity; there are people who are technically talented but lack creativity, and people who are creative but lack technical talent (and of course the lucky bunch who are talented AND creative, you wonderful people you). I'm technically talented, but creatively empty.

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can write poetry & even had one published, I don't know where it comes from, I just write something when I am inspired & I am quite amazed with myself when I read it back & realize how good it is :slight_smile:

12. 2112

Like everyone else has said, time doesn't change how creative someone is. I spend a lot of time when I make songs, but that doesn't make it less creative. There is no "top 10%" for creativity, and if there is, it's not something that can be judged by how long it takes.

13. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's no way to quantify creativity. I can write when inspired but any other kind of art...yep, not going to happen.

Besides, what does someone even define creativity as?

14. FreeFlow9917

I'm always creative in a lot of things i do, idky

15. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I need an exceedingly abundant amount of time an inspiration cause if I'm to rushed I'll get a pile of crap:lol:

16. josh9623

I consider myself to be very creative, however like purple rain and adarya I get a block when I'm stressed (like now). and I'm easily distracted sometimes.

17. robotman

I think I am quite creative especially when it comes to writing, like I think I could write a good novel/book but I probably wouldn't commit to it because in a couple of days I would have a new idea for a different story haha.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know the percentile, as that would not be possible, but it's pretty up there. I can also draw without much training in it. A lot of my ancestors could, too, again without much training. I also enjoy writing. I have even been told I'm articulate, in a condescending manner, a time or two. Isn't that grand?