1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLBT phobic people who are fairly transparent themselves

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tightrope, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ever seen this? You might have a teacher, professor, employer, or parent of a friend who makes it a very big deal to let people know they are married, that they have a family, that they tow a very self-righteous line, that they are pillars of the community, and even imply they don't like GLBT folks, but would trip even the straightest person's gaydar. What's going on with these people? A lot of straight people who are relaxed about being straight and diversity don't even makes such a spectacle of themselves like these individuals I'm describing. I've seen it in profs, employers, and family acquaintances.

2. Sarcastic Luck

Yep. I knew a guy that I had a college class with that often made me wonder. He was the sort that thought that "gay people are going to take away my right to walk down the street holding my girlfriend's hand".

He tried way, way too hard to be masculine, telling me one day that "I'm going to go cut my nails. Men don't trim their nails, that's something women do". A few people I had talked to mentioned wondering themselves.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been studied a few times, including one really ingenious and imaginative study that was able to ferret out closeted men (without telling them that they knew this).

Unsurprisingly, the majority of the really bigoted/homophobic guys turn out to be closet faggots. :slight_smile: We've seen a dozen of these in recent years among bigoted conservative politicians, leaders of religious groups, and even groups that spout anti-gay and anti-gay rights agendas under the guise of psychological or other scientific experience.

Debbie Ford, who wrote a wonderful book called "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers", talks about how the things that we are most vehemently opposed to are the things we secretly fear in ourselves, and there's a lot of study that seems to back this up. It's not really surprising when you think about it.