1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if he likes me or even if he's gay

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by wantingmore93, Jun 17, 2013.

1. wantingmore93

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey everyone.

I'm up for another sleepless night due to what I'll describe to you, but first a little about me. I'm 19 and just finished my first year of college. I have a long distance girlfriend who I legitimately love but I've always known I might be gay. I grew up with a terrible relationship with my mother and a very strict father. My family is well-to-do but my life hasn't been easy and having to hide my true self makes it even harder.

In my first year of college, I joined a fraternity. I am very introverted and wanted to break out of my shell. When I joined, I met two guys. One of them was a freshman pledge with me and the other was a fifth year graduate student who was one of the guys who ran our pledge process. I'll come back to the second later, but the first is more important early on.

He is my age and seems very feminine. He's easy to talk to and I started liking him right away. We hooked up when we were pledges and it continued on for a while. But then he got his “big brother” who is a fraternity mentor who was also gay and I'm pretty sure he began hooking up with him. I wanted a relationship with him desperately and still have him in my facebook profile pic but he didn't want one back. So we just kept hooking up with not much emotion and I wasn't satisfied. Honestly, I was so sad and unfulfilled after my first year in college that I contemplated suicide though never took any action towards it.

Then came summer...and Snapchat lol. I got added on Snapchat by the fifth year guy I mentioned before. The guy is something of a legend on campus and is known for being extremely rich and politically connected. He'll definitely run for office one day. I had actually known him from a summer camp of sorts I went to a few years before that he was one of the head counselors for but he had no idea who I was. Until this summer, he still didn't know who I was. We talked only once one-on-one and I loved every minute of it but never figured he was gay. He is actually the big brother of the big brother of the big brother of the first guy I mentioned.

Anyway...he started snap chatting me a whole bunch and I started responding. We have definitely communicated more on snap chat than in person. He used to be pretty fat from eating well all the time and I noticed in the snap chats and on facebook that he was starting to look amazing. The snap chats provided me a window into his daily life that I never thought I'd have. Even with those little 3 to 5 second pictures, I felt like I began to know him better than ever before. Eventually that led to texting, which he initiates way more than I do. Recently his texts got a bit deeper, even saying to me “you're an interesting guy” and “there's more to you than meets the eye.” Honestly, I've fallen in love with him and I have no idea if he has feelings for me or even if he's gay.

A few things make me think he is. First, he gets into what may just be “bromances” with really attractive guys all the time. They'll stay at his house and they'll do everything together. Second, he's only known for being involved with one girl and claims he has no real feelings for her. Third, he has recently begun getting more liberal politically and he says gay rights is one of the issues making him do so. Finally, I have no idea why else he'd be reaching out to me and talking to me so much. I don't think I'm gorgeous but I'm certainly not ugly, but there are rumors going around about me and the first guy. Maybe he believes that and wants in? Who knows.

My questions to you are...
    -How can I tell if he is gay?
    -How can I tell if he likes me back?
    -How do I pursue a relationship with someone so much older, richer, more connected, and more outgoing than me?

That's a good start. Thanks everyone for listening and for your advice.

2. Corradino

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi wantingmore93,

Maybe i'm not the best person to respond to your post because I have no idea about how the whole fraternity thing works, and to be honest I really don't want to know. What I can do, however, is give you an objective answer to your questions.

The only way to find out if someone is gay is to ask them...perhaps a text asking it in a shy way, maybe "I really like you and I wondered if you liked me too?" then go onto deeper feelings and then ask him "are you gay" etc. Again if he likes you he is sure to say.

How much older is he? Money and age should not make a difference when you're in love.