1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by NewView78, Jun 19, 2013.

1. NewView78

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So… I am recently out, been dating an old friend for the entire time (the last 6 months), am having an amazing time and am really starting to think that he is “the one.”

We had worked together years ago when we were in school and became reacquainted again last year after 10 years apart. Since we know each other well, there wasn’t a whole lot of that awkward first getting to each other phase. Things have moved fast for us, but it doesn’t feel like we rushed anything. It just feels natural.

He gave up a promotion at work that would have caused him to move out of the area (he ended up getting a better one in the area, but we didn’t know that would happen when he rejected the first promotion). I had my roommates move out to give us more privacy. After 5 months he officially moved in. We’ve almost finished completely repainting the house. Our families have meet one another and they all get along well which is amazing. Everyone -- family, friends, co-workers have all been very supportive.

We live in a state which recognizes gay marriage (yay!) and we always share little jokes with each other about “when we get married” and “what our wedding will be like” and “you better not purpose to me like that.” But, we haven’t had a serious talk about marriage per se, but we have had a lot of talks about building a life together, what we want to do in the future etc.

I really feel like if things continue to go the way they are going that I will ask him to marry me on our 1 year anniversary in December. However, I want to make sure that I am going into this with my eyes open. So, my questions are:

1.) How do you know when you have met “the one”
    2.) Is it too early to propose after dating for one year?
    3.) Does it sound like he is interested in marriage as well?

Any candid advice or thoughts would be most helpful!

2. Epiphany101

Australia, perhaps I'll reveal more....Later. ;)
    I guess, each of us (as individuals) feels differently when we find "The One", so I'd say that that feeling is up to you to decypher.
    2) Perhaps look at getting engaged and leaving it for another year? That way you could go either way?
    3) It sounds like he loves you. That being with you (regardless of the permission of a piece of paper) is all that matters.

Either way it sounds like you're lucky in finding someone who cares about you. =)

3. SomeNights

IMHO if you think he is the one, go for it. Dive in and not worry about what the social norm is for timelines.

4. WJLerch

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hopefully the Supreme Court legalizes it in all states this week