1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just learned I have no real friends…

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Krilky, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For my entire life, I've been bullied, but in high school I began to see hope. Some people were nice to me, some were nice enough that I considered them friends. Or so I thought.
    This saturday, I was hosting a party. I started a Facebook invite and invited 12 people. 9 replied they were traveling, 2 didn't reply at all, and 1 said yes, but then I canceled it because it would be kind of lame with just 1 person there. So that was the end of it…
    Until today. I was having a summer club meeting and was at the house of one of the people I'd invited. Everyone else was late, and he was checking his Facebook. I couldn't help seeing a message that he clicked on that said something about "*my name*'s party" in the title. When he went to the bathroom, he left it open, so I moved closer. The title of the event was, "Party at my house!" In the description it said, "*My name* is having a party the same day and time, but I'm guessing you all won't want to go to that. Just say you're traveling or something."
    I don't know what to think right now. What should I do?

2. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    Just believe us older ppl when we say high school means nothing towards the grand scheme of social life. It really doesn't. Very few ppl stay on contact after high school. Trust me, life will move on and thankfully you're 17 so u don't have much longer to wait anyways :slight_smile:

3. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People in high school are often assholes (I have learnt this though often painful, personally experience). Don't let them get you down. It's there loss by not going to your party.

4. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with dakine and gibson234. High School is filled with the stupidest people you will ever meet. Seriously, the stupidest people ever, literally. Just remember that. Most of them are worthless and not worth your time. Forget them, meet some new people. Focus on enjoying your time as a highschooler. Popularity is a pathetic game to play. Go ahead and let them think they're "cool".

5. Viridian

Viridian Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    High school friendships often become distant memories because we are still growing up and what not. They rarely last after graduation.

Those people sound terrible and you shouldn't bother spending any more time or energy dealing with this issue. That one person who was willing to go seems nice. If you want to start a friendship, invite that person to hang out or something.

Be yourself and you'll find people who wants to be your friend because they think you're awesome. Forget anyone who think otherwise.

I recommend joining a school club or maybe a GSA. It can help you meet new people who share the same interests.

6. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That sounds terrible :/ i'm so glad that i'm no longer in High school. but yeh, I agree with the above comments- high school friends are really lame in a sense. not worth the time at all in comparison with all the friends that you will make in university! My advice is to go hang out with that one person willing to come- he/she sounds decent

7. York

I think you need to face with them, tell how you feel about their behaviours and due to their explanations, you can decide whether to continue the friendships or not. Because, as we all know, making friends is hard but losing them is just so easy.. :slight_smile:

8. biggayguy

When you're in high school most people are self-absorbed. When you get a bit older you start thinking more about other people. OTOH some never get beyond high school emotionally or mentally. There are some tight knit little groups of alumni from my high school That have sent their kids and grandkids to the same school. They are very snobbish about it too!