1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

parents -.-

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Kamina, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Kamina

My parents are a mystery. I'm nowhere near coming out but I want to see that they would support me if I did, if that makes sense.
    Basically my parents have always said that they are really supportive of the gay community, as they put it, but just this evening on tv a lesbian couple came on the tv (and albeit one was naked, but undercovers, completely covered, and very modest for our day and age,) and my dad acted really weird and mildly disgusted saying "can you put the guide on we dont need to see that". I told him that nothing happens (I saw the episode) trying to play the situation down as the couple really does only kiss. I looked to my mother for support as she's more open about LGBT than my dad but she also just looked kinda awkward and my dad still put the guide on!
    I'm getting the feeling that 'gay is okay as long as we dont have to see it' and that makes me worried for later when I'm more comfortable with myself. Does anone have advice on prying open my parent's minds to be more receiving to the LGBT community without just asking them (I'll get the we support the gay community answer) or coming out to them??

Oh I feel as tho I should also add that my mom was raised a strong catholic even if she doesn't practice now and she recognizes that being gay is not a choice but she doesn't believe in bisexuality.
    Also My dad's parents are very strongly opinioned instilling those values in my father but I never really see them so I dont really know what their stance is on LGBT and my dad has always just echoed my mother never really explicitly stated his views so yea... advice would be nice.

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just because he doesn´t like to see an affectionate couple of totall strangers on TV, doesn´t mean to say he won´t accept you if you come out.
    (By the way how does he react to a naked staright couple on TV?)

Besides I feel that there is a difference between affaction and sexual behavior. I think the latter shouldn´t be performed in front of your parents anyway.
    I mean, I live with my parents and we are comfortable in the nude and seeing kissing and hugging and such, but there are still things that is just private, you know.
    So your father might indeed be comfortable with it without seeing suggestive behavior. I guess a simple hug or kiss would be different especially cause it´s YOU and not some stranger on TV. IN BED. It´s not likely he will see you naked in bed with someone, is it?

I think you don´t need to worry. They don´t seem the type that would kick you out for being gay.

3. Ashen

I'd like to know, how would he have reacted if it were the same situation but with a straight couple on TV? Because I know that some parents can just that kind of awkward feeling whenever they have to see anything with sexual content with their child in the same room.

That being said, if they haven't ever met/seen a gay couple before, it may just be a case of "that's knew and kind of foreign to me, can we not watch it anymore?". Because honestly, whenever people are presented with a foreign idea, especially one so foreign as to see a gay couple in bed, they may get a little uncomfortable with it, but that doesn't mean they won't adjust to the idea of actually as you put it "seeing gay"

And if it comes down to it, I'd agree with boyfriend and say that maybe he's okay with the idea of affection between two gay people, but doesn't really want to know/see what would go on once the lights are off. So to speak. Which I doubt he would with you.

4. The username

If two heterosexual people are kissing on TV my mom says ew...
    Maybe they just don't like watching it...