1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend situation

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by afterthefact, Jun 20, 2013.

1. afterthefact

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I've got a friend, who I've been hanging out for a while. We know a lot about each other and feel like we can talk about many things pretty openly. She is straight. But since about a couple of months ago she started acting weird.

Before I go into this weirdness let me mention that I am not a professional, but I have been cutting friend's hair for however long I can remember. Mostly alternative hair (or lesbian hair, whatever you want to call it). I have fun with it, I do not charge, and girls usually love what I do with their hair because many salons/hairdressers are not willing to go into the risky types of haircuts that we are usually going. Also, I myself have just very short hair and I wear a certain type of prescription glasses with a certain type of frame that is not very popular, but which you can buy only from one location.

So, this friend, who is sort of like a best friend and we do a lot of things together, has started to act a bit more like myself and my other lesbian friend. We've noticed that she only does that when she hangs out with us, and returns to her usual happy self when she is not with us. She acquired similar hobbies, although she've never been interested in those things. She has now purchased the same exact pair of frames as myself, and asked me to cut her (gorgeous long blonde) hair off, and do "my usual creative thing" with it.

I am not so certain what to do about it. Part of me wants to be supportive, the creative part of me really wants to cut her hair, but the glasses sort of scared me. Her behavior prior to the glasses incident was getting strange (in terms of emerging similarity), but now it's really strange. She is moving to a different state in 2 months, so I kind of want her to leave on a good note, but at the same time is it her insecurity speaking or what? Is she confused about her sexuality now that she started hanging out with us?

2. FemCasanova

Most of us with long hair has cut it at some point, and some regretted it. Problem is, she won`t know until she`s done it. Maybe she feels a need for a change in her life, outside of hair-length? People tend to change their looks when they feel the need for a change that they can`t quite accomplish. Have you asked her how she feels, how she`s doing? Maybe the moving is a bit scary to her? It does sound a bit like she is adapting out of insecurity, but that`s guess-work, really. The best thing is to talk to her, to get a better feel of where she is, emotionally. And if she is insistent that she really wants her hair cut, then cut it. It`s her mistake to make, if it turns out to be one. Hair grows back out, which is good thing.

Just ask her again, tell her that you think her hair is beautiful, and you just really want to make sure she wants to cut it. And on a separate occasion ask her how she feels. Talk about her life, the move, let her know you care. Maybe it`s something she needs. This doesn`t have to have anything to do with her sexuality, but if she is questioning her sexuality, hanging around you might have triggered it. Which isn`t a bad thing, she might think about it, try it out and figure things out, but it doesn`t have to be something negative. I think most of us have had adaptive phases while we`ve dealt with stuff, so just be supportive, I`m sure she`ll be fine. And her hair will grow back out, if she doesn`t like the hair-cut.

:slight_smile: