1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Oh please, you haven't had crushes on girls!"

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by spockbach, Jun 21, 2013.

1. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    First of all, can I just say OMGILOVETHISSITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This has been amazing; I feel so supported and so comfortable being myself here!!! I've tried to be straight for a long time (so what else is new, right?), and here I can just BE!!!

Anyway, I was wondering: do any of you have parents who don't believe in bisexuality? I mean, I know a lot of teens kind of throw it around these days, like, I'm so cool and different and bisexual. But I've been fighting this for way too long and am afraid to come out to my mom. I remember testing the waters several years ago by saying I had some crushes on girls, and she was like, "Oh please, you haven't had crushes on girls!" with this big eye-roll. I was like, um, this isn't gonna work. She still thinks I'm straight, partly, I think, because I'm her only daughter (I have three younger brothers) and she's really, really straight - definitely a zero on the Kinsey scale. I know I'll have to come out to her eventually, i.e., if I end up with a girl. But for now, I'm wondering: how many of you have parents who don't believe in bisexuality or homosexuality? It's pretty awkward. :/

2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

My parents accept it (it's not a matter of belief), but then they are pretty liberal concerning such issues.
    You don't have to prove anything. You know what you are.
    And who knows, perhaps you'll start dating a girl and then you're mother would have to be pretty obstinate to deny that you're bi.

3. VenusRox

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    well I had a crush one a girl and now I have a boyfriend. I'm not attracted to any other girl though. so I'm not sure if I'm bisexual or not... confused. :/
    And my parents are extremely devout Buddhists and thinks bi or homosexuality is a improper lifestyle. but they don't think its a sin at least.
    I support LGBT and believe that humans are capable of loving beyond boundaries. Straight or gay.

Take it slow, and I hope your parents will eventually understand.
    Wish you all the luck!
    Take care...

4. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks, guys! It's funny, my mom isn't religious at all: I'm the religious one! Ha ha, people tend to think it's weird that I'm super LGBT activist who also goes to church on Sunday morning! :grin: But most don't know I'm bi.

5. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel your pain. My mother thinks that homosexuality is a sin. It will be quite the wakeup call when she finds out. I am currently married to a man and I think it could cause some disbelief.

Maybe wait it out. If you have a girlfriend then bring her home to meet the family some time. Talk to your mom and say you would like them to meet your girlfriend. If they are like WHAT? then remind her that you told her you liked girls too.

6. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks! I love that idea. And I think it is something that will come up in conversation or some situation. I'm hoping it will go over smoothly when it does come up! And good luck with your coming out (if that's what your plan is!).