1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I make her think that being LGBT is birth not choice??

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MatthewJS, Jun 21, 2013.

1. MatthewJS

ok some of you already know L from past threads, and she is one of my friends that think being LGBT is a choice. I did whatever I thought would work so she can think its by birth. im currently arguing about if its a choice or by birth. she thinks she right and im wrong. she is one of the "Ms. Know-It-All" girls. I asked if she chose to be a girl, Filipino, and straight. she said yes on the girl and straight but didn't answer the Filipino question.

how can I make her think that being part of the LGBT Community is by birth??

---------- Post added 21st Jun 2013 at 10:02 AM ----------

and also said that I will find "a girl that will give me a spark" does she also sound naïve and ignorant to you guys?

2. Gen

Gen

There are just some battles that you have to learn to let go. Especially on the topic of orientation, people will fabricate mountains to justify their points, but it truthfully isn't worth the time or effort.

You don't have to justify yourself to her. She can believe as she pleases. You have attempted to show her otherwise, but there is nothing more you can do.

3. Rexmond

You're living proof, aren't you? :slight_smile:

4. MatthewJS

Rexmond: she thinks I chose to be gay because of one boy. but I was confused before 4th grade. I ask her so many questions and proof and still thinks its a choice. and the proof is from here!

she thinks im the stupid one because I think LGBT people are born this way instead of choosing.

5. MichaelB

Ask her to pinpoint exactly when she made the choice to be straight.

Seriously, anyone who says being gay is a choice cannot answer that question. So respond to her with the exact same bigotry that she treats you with.

6. MatthewJS

she said she used to be a "tomboy" and now she is straight. I even asked her if she was a boy in her mind but a girl in the outside. her answer: no. there is nothing to crack her and so she can know more about LGBT and its by birth. I even told her to become a lesbian for a day and refused.

7. justjade

See? There ya go! She can't choose to be a lesbian. And I don't think being a tomboy has anything to do with sexual orientation, although it has some correlation to it. She just is straight. That's not her choice. She doesn't know what it's like on the other side because she's never been there because she wasn't born that way. Or at least that's what I think.

Anyway, I have the same problem with my family. My dad once told me that sin makes gay people the way they are, which, as it turns out, has not base in science whatsoever.

It sounds to me like your mom doesn't care if you're happy. But then again, denial is always the first step to acceptance. Eventually she's just going to have to come to terms with it, and that's her fight, not yours. Just keep being who you are. She'll see in time. And if she doesn't, you've done all you can. It's not your job to convince her of anything, although I can definitely see why you want to. I wish you the best in this situation and abundant happiness in your life.

8. AaronMed

Depends, how sciencey am I allowed to get here? :grin:

9. MatthewJS

justjade: im talking about my friend not my mom. although you have a point.
    she called be stupid because I say its by choice but in reality, she actually the stupid one because she know NOTHING about the LGBT Community.

also: she said that "tomboy" means lesbian in her language.