1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make my mother more accepting of 'the gay life style'?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by evora, Jun 21, 2013.

1. evora

I was thinking of sending her lots of links to articles about homosexuality related things. Anything that would persuade her it's not a disease or unnatural, etc.

The topic came up again and I took the chance and mentioned a few things to her.
    Me:"There were gay couples on my floor in the dorm."
    Her:"Don't start this now."
    ---later---
    Me:"Did you see that lesbian couple holding hands at Tesco yesterday?"
    Her:"No and I don't care." What she really meant was 'I don't want to hear about it'.

In less than a week she obviously went from 'you're so confused and saying stupid things' to 'that's so unnatural, don't even mention it'.

By the way, it all started with my aunt telling us about a gay couple she saw on TV and then them going into a debate over who's the woman in that relationship. I tried to tell her they are both males but she just laughed and kept saying that one of them was the woman.:eusa_doh:

Do you know of any articles I could show her? (I'll have to find them, or something similar to them, in a language she can understand but I'll worry about that later...) Are they some good ones to start with?
    Maybe I sent her the wrong ones the first time...?:eusa_thin

I know very well she doesn't want to hear about it but she will have to. I know she thinks I can't be gay because according to her, ...actually, I don't even know what she really thinks about gay people. Maybe she was just being polite and was trying to appear tolerant for our sake and that's why she's never said anything against them and now that I claim to be gay, she'll let me know what she really thinks.:dry: (After all, her parents and sister are homophobic and when it comes to politics they explode and go on a rant about anyone who opposes their views... So maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up?:icon_sad:slight_smile:

How can I make her realize that a lot of people - ordinary people - are gay?

2. Amerigo

i wish i new the answer to this, i was thinking about this just now - i was talking about kids and how i refuse to have biological kids of my own when there are plenty of orphans out there in need of a home, she accepted by warned me i would have to consult my future "wife"...i felt like correcting her and saying husband, but then that would probably signal the end of my existence :S

anyway *bump*

show her this song for the sake of it, i know it doesn't directly address your issues, but it's beautiful and made me cry:

[YOUTUBE]hlVBg7_08n0[/YOUTUBE]

also, let her know of the existence of all the great gay people out there, such as yourself. she needs to be reminded of that.

3. evora

Okay, thanks. I'll try and I hope she watches it.:slight_smile: