1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get my mom to stop asking if I'm sure of my choice?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by riahf, Jun 21, 2013.

1. riahf

My mom has been very supportive so far, but every conversation I have with her she has been slipping in little comments asking whether or not I'm "sure of my decision" or choice, or some variation. Yesterday she told me she had been doing research and she found out that 40% of people who thought they were gay at one time eventually decided they were straight. I know she's just getting used to all this information being dumped on her, which is why I haven't said anything, but her second guessing me is actually doing a lot of harm to my self confidence I've finally developed. How do I get her to stop without making her feel bad?

---------- Post added 21st Jun 2013 at 05:45 PM ----------

Oh, and I guess following that, how do I clarify it's not a choice or a decision, I think she's using this terminology because she isn't sure how to phrase it, but I need her to know that it's bothering me.

2. Emberblaze

I understand, my mom was sort of the same way for a couple of days. But we, well, nobody that im out to really talks about it anymore. But in any case, what I did with MY mom was I watched a gay themed movie with her. I surprised her with it actually. It's a decent family movie with a whooole lot of sexual innuendos which were hard to get through lols.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should tell her it's hurting you that she questions one of the most fundamental aspects of you as a person, like the color of your skin or your hair. It would be so much easier to "choose" being straight because that's what is the norm in society, so there is little benefit in claiming you're gay if you're not.

Show her this. One of the biggest Christian "gay reparative therapy" groups has admitted that they were wrong it trying to get people to change their sexual orientation.
    Author Jeff Chu, Evangelical Leaders React to Closing of Exodus International | PBS NewsHour

Also, check this summary by the American Psychological Association.
    Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality