1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know when you like someone?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by rx79g, Jun 21, 2013.

1. rx79g

This probably sounds like a dumb question but questioning rendered (and continues to render) me incapable of knowing when I like someone and what that feels like. Is it something where when it happens, you'll just know? (and ergo if I don't know it hasn't happened?) Is it something that sneaks up on you slowly as you spend time with someone or is it something you feel right away?

Background: I met a guy tonight who I might kind of like but like I said questioning for years has rendered me incapable of even imagining myself in a relationship, let alone liking someone. I might like this guy but I can't tell if I actually do or if I just want to because that would be extra confirmation of my sexuality (still not totally solid on that) and would make me feel a little less "broken" with my inability to like people beyond friendship. I realize I'm probably way over thinking this but I'm just a little lost. Either way I'll spend more time with him I think.

Anyway, the question is how do you know when you like someone?

2. evora

I have butterflies in my stomach, feel faint and just want to be near them for ever.:icon_redf

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never really completely understood the English verb "to like". It really is quite extraordinary, this verb, as it seems to suggest that, to like someone, there has to be something in you that somehow resembles something in him...

Maybe that's how you know, as if you were a tuning fork, vibrating at a particular frequency that makes another precisely and equally tuned fork nearby pick up the vibrations through the air; whereas other nearby forks, differently tuned, will remain silent.

It could be a look, a common point of view, some shared opinion which resonates with you. When I'm with my best friend, and we engage in some deep conversation, I actually feel a tingling sensation in my spine, a real vibration takes place and I just know that this is a very good moment to be with him.

#3 greatwhale, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  4. LoveMeForMe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    well when i finally liked this guy, i didnt realize it for a while. at first i hated him because he annoyed me but after awhile feelings began to grow and i knew because i always wanted to be near him and id get nervous around him.... it did really sneak up on me but it may be different for you. you usually feel different around the one you like

5. Plutanan

I start to like people when I get emotionally intimate with them. There are people I never considered 'liking' (and even now, I'm in limbo) until I really got to know them. But this is just me, I get attracted to the personality first and the physical intimacy comes next (thought appearance does play a factor in my attraction towards a person).

For me, I'm still inexperienced, but I think it's something you know. It just can't be forced. If you feel that you're forcing yourself, then it's probably not right. I always think "Would I enjoy being alone with this person, spending time with them?" And that doesn't mean completely alone, it can mean a date somewhere, but just the two of you. I'm not sure if that's a great measure, it's just one that works for me.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As for "like", as in friends, it's a feeling you've known them for a lot longer than you really have. The rapport is also easy. It's hard to explain.

As for "like LIKE," as in being attracted, I find that, to some degree, from minor to major, my normal composure and functioning is somewhat diminished. And it's slightly troubling, since I tend to look at everything almost too logically.

7. robotman

I think you can tell you like someone by the way you feel and what you do when you are around them, like for me when I like someone, I constantly smile (its involuntary) at them... I also say like really random things and don't really pay attention to anything else around lol.