1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i am afraid to tell my best friend i am gay.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MathMan, Jun 23, 2013.

1. MathMan

Hey guys and gals and everything in between,

I am afraid to tell my best friend I am gay. to start off, we have been best friends since we were in 1st grade. We know each others habits inside and out as well.

I am afraid to tell him i am gay because i am afraid he would flirt with me or either be nervous to hang around me because he would think it would make him look as if he was gay too.

has anyone had a similar situation and came out? if so, how did it go?

2. Milhouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, the relationship doesn't have to go anywhere you don't want it to. If you don't want it to be sexual, then that's a clear boundary and you know not to let things get to that point. You guys are both adults here. If he's a really good friend, he should be okay with it and this shouldn't effect things very much.

You say you are afraid he would hit on you, yet you don't make it sound like he currently identifies that way. Are you questioning his sexuality? If you don't think you're interested in him 'in that way' then you can always just tell him that you still just look at him as a friend and that you'd like to look elsewhere for love. Of course, if he does have feelings for you, perhaps this could hurt him? Not sure.

The closest I can get to this is with my good friend since the 6th grade. We hardly ever see each other nowadays, but I've often wondered about his sexuality and have, at times, felt attracted to him and considered taking it someplace. There's a chance he might be moving back to the area at some point, and made it sound like he'd be interested in sharing an apartment with me. I don't know what his intentions would be with that, but it's something that could get awkward fast, lol.

3. Candace

I was in the SAME BOAT about a year ago.

The first person I told was one of my best friends. He is 21, Greek, and extremely attractive. However, I've never had feelings for him (since he is not my type). I think of him as like a brother and I love him very much :slight_smile: He said that it didn't matter if I were gay or not, as long as I wanted his friendship. I never flirted with him in the past, therefore he was never fearful that I would in the first place.

Your friend will do the same. :slight_smile: