1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I in love with my best friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Paper Heart, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Paper Heart

My biggest fear right now is that my feelings for my best friend, go beyond best friend feelings. I know I love him, but just not sure if I'm in love with him. I've admitted it once and cried for a little. I really just want to not have such strong feelings for him. I'd do anything for him, from helping with school or work, or more subtle things like getting him dessert/watching out for him in general. I get jealous and upset when other people hang out with him or he doesn't invite me to hang out. I'm terrified that he'll phase me out like other close friends I've had. I know he won't, but the prospect of losing him scares me. I think about him constantly and I'm just depressed about how I will probably not see him until August.

He's one of the best people I've ever known. He's kind, honest, non-judgmental and handsome. In short, he's everything I find perfect. He inspires me to be a better person. I know I wouldn't be where I am now without him.

Reading this, I'm starting to think its a bit more clear...

2. FemCasanova

(*hug*)

Loving a friend is a tough business when it crosses over into romantic love. If he is straight, and there`s no way he`ll be able to feel the same for you, as you do for him, then you need to start working on watering down the fire a bit, because or else you`ll just be hurting for a long time.

Some physical distance, maybe spend a bit less time together, focusing on other objects of attraction might help, but most of all, if he`s not a romantic option, you have to find a way to accept that.

(*hug*)

3. Alexanderp

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is exactly me right now... Only he's the only one I can really connect with too. I've been trying hard lately to move on, it's tough as hell when I break down and text him about the stuff that's going on at home. Even tougher when he's so devoted with our friendship... Moving soon and he's talking about when I move back in state, for college, we could meet up every sunday somewhere, even though it would be a two hour drive.

Definitely water down the fire as the poster above said. You will hurt for a long time if you don't, and it's not worth it, if he's truely straight. Holdig onto that hope that he might be into you, it's not good. One of the worst feelings, that I've experienced anyway.
    Good luck, I guess.(dunno what to really say XD)

4. merlin

merlin Guest

Same here (won't repeat story, is on several posts already and it seems people are getting sick of it as my specific post on this issue didn't even got a single response ;-), but just to say, I feel for you and know the pain this type of impossible love gives. If you can stay friends, that may be worth the pain, but it won't make it easier. Love hurts, you know, especially if it cannot be answered. Moving away from each other will eventually ease the pain and dull the memories (I know from past experience) but it takes a long time.

Take care and a big (*hug*)

5. Sardonic

Yeah, sorry bud. This sounds like me and my roommate ^^ and they're right, don't hold on to any hope. Verify or drop it. Waiting makes it worse.