1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I hurting myself?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SecretlyASloth, Jun 23, 2013.

1. SecretlyASloth

Warning: cliche straight best / crush situation approaching!

Ok, so here's what's been happening. This guy who I used to like A LOT has a girlfriend who I'm also really good friends with. He's my best friend now, and I'm really good friend with his GF. I've been trying to get over him, and it sort of works sometimes and then other times the desire comes back.

The thing that's bothering me though: even though the whole situation gets me down a little, I sort of always fake a smile and pretend I'm really happy when I see the two of them together. I like constantly ask my friend, "How are you and ____???? Any candlelit dinners recently?" and the same with his girlfriend. They always laugh with me and I just kind of laugh too. Only after do I realize that I literally just put on an acting performance. It feels like I'm masking the pain I actually have, and I've just been trying to delude myself into thinking I'm happy for them.

Deep down....I'm not happy. I mean, I may not be one to speak at my age, but I really had more than just the average crush. I really would do a lot of things for this guy. It feels like I'm a lovesick puppy that doesn't know how to stop.

So how do I stop? Separation hasn't been working, I stayed an entire summer out of reach from him last year and I still harbored the same feelings. Any advice from experienced people on how to deal with a pointless crush, but more importantly find a balance? I don't want to delude myself anymore and stuff away my feelings, but I don't want to be in a bad mood whenever I see them together.....

2. Kamina

Dont know what to tell you but that everytime i've liked someone its been totally one sided (recently because they are straight girls, previously because they weren't interested in me). Liking someone more than they like you sucks... especially if you have to see them being happy everyday with this awesome person who isn't you.

All I can tell you is that you should keep busy, pick up a new hobby or re-learn an old one, not drawing because it always ends up them, trust me on that! :wink: but its not going to go away. You just have to hope you find someone you like equally or even more who likes you just as much!

It'll happen, at least thats what I tell myself! Hope that helped

3. Envira

Try to be genuinely happy for him. Happy that he's happy. It's gonna be hard, but try to find someone new too. Put yourself out there again. Be free. Don't stay stuck on him. It'll only hurt you more. Let go and fall for someone else. There are so many more people out there. :slight_smile:

4. SecretlyASloth