1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Straight [Former] Best Friend" Scenario Alert

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TheTrueInferno, Jun 24, 2013.

1. TheTrueInferno

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sidenote: I've known the guy for 2.5 years now. Lost in my lust for him, the friendship was destroyed 1.5 years ago, and we've been able to mildly speak since thing. He moved away a year ago but we're still acquaintances over Facebook. Despite being almost completely over it, I still question it if I should tell him something just to break the only tie, or recreate it. I'm not traumatized about it, so don't worry too much about it lol.

So anyways, I was part of a friend "triangle" at the time, "triangle" being sarcastic because I hung out with my friend and another guy all the time, who I'm extremely certain he was hanging out with him for the same reason I was. (He came out after all of this, we never talked.) Well, that's a quick story to the basis of it.

Me and this guy always fought a lot, because it would put me off whenever he said he wasn't free and he was always hanging out the with other guy. I felt 3rd-wheeled a lot, and the only times I hung out with him personally is when the other guy was at work, in some cases my friend would want to go see him.

So, this was a 6-month span of us being best friends (I think he used the term loosely). I knew him for a year beforehand where we hung out in the bigger circle we were a part of. Most of them graduated and moved on, and the rest scattered to a point. Towards the end of it, we got into a huge argument because I brought up I didn't feel like I was a major part of anything, and he said he tried to be inclusive but I was never free, though I worked onlly part time and had the same school schedule as him. There was even a point when I quit my job just to spend more time with him (THIS was stupid on my part, I'll say that much).

We were also in high school band, and had joined to do an ensemble together with 4 others, and after that, the other 4 were the only ones that met at practice, which resulted in it being dropped.

So, about a month afterwards, we just started talking again, and we hit the last point we actually said anything to each other in person. Afterwards, I texted him something in regards to hanging out, and didn't get a response. I decided to stop texting and see if anything else would be said. This was over a year ago.

The part during all of this that really gets to me is I feel like an ass for letting my lust side get the best of me. He was constantly dating girls that he would "get bored" of after 4-6 weeks, so I wasn't too apt to bring up anything with him to indicated I had a crush on him, though I'm extremely sure he guessed. I was always trying to argue with him, always getting angry when he did something I didn't like, and tried to make it clear "I just wanted a best friend".

As we cut our ties then, he stopped hanging out with the other guy he was always around, hanging out with this group of guys that nobody was particularly fond of. 5 months afterwards, he moved 3 hours away. He comes back to town every so often to see other people, but I've let go to the point since I don't even notice.

The part to admit to all of this is I can't let go due to one tie. I'm still in love with him. Madly. It doesn't bother me as much as it did, but I'm still in love with him. I still have him on Facebook, and we have exchanged messages for questions that have no relevance to our past friendship.

I just wanted to know from other people, should I just remove him and just end the tie, or try to start up a conversation with him and tell him the truth to get the weight off of my chest? This was over a year ago, and it still bothers me.

(Sorry if things seem redundant or out of order in this, I don't write longer things so it's an art for me to keep a decent story straight)

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, I would just be inclined to leave it. I would remove him as a friend. I just said this in another thread, but the only thing that heals a crush/unrequited love is time. And time can't do it's work if you have the opportunity to see him on Facebook every day, and be constantly reminded of him.

Telling him that you're in love with him is going to do little to get "weight" off of your chest. Time is the only thing that can do that.

I even went as far as blocking my crush on Facebook (I don't think he even noticed).

I think it would make sense to tell him if you were really good friends with him, or you had some really good relationship where you feel like you are leaving a lot out by not telling him. But the fact that your friendship was never that good is a strong indicator to me that you'd be wasting your time telling him.

I told someone who I had a crush on (not the same person —*this was my first ever crush) that I really liked him in a relationship kind-of way, and I always regret it. Now I feel he thinks of me in a pitiful way, as in "God help him"...

But blocking him, or even removing him as a friend, means that you can try to move on without being constantly reminded of him. Because, as I keep saying, time is the biggest healer. And you can speed up the process by, maybe, I don't know, trying to date or something (I don't know what stage you're at). Then you can focus your energy on someone where at least there is a possibility of them returning your love.

Also, you write very well, so there's no need to qualify the long post!