1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's about my dad...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DarkenedSoul, Jun 27, 2013.

1. DarkenedSoul

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, look everyone.. Here's my problem. I'm a lesbian, clearly, and I hate how everyday I go through life with my family knowing nothing. Well, I've told my brother and I think my mom suspects even though I haven't actually brought it up. But this problem is concerning my dad. I can't date, I can't even allow him to know I'm a lesbian. Because I know how he feels towards gays and right now I am living with him.. If he gets pissed and kicks me out or disowns me or whatever, I've got nowhere to go. But it's killing me! I've realized it's a girl I want to spend my life with and I'm too afraid of my dad disowning me.. I mean I do love him, even if he does hate gays. It just hurts me all the time, knowing he might hate me once it's all out in the open. :/
    My brother has promised to be there to support me whenever I do tell my dad, but he and I both know now isn't the time to do so. If I had my own place right now and anywhere to go but here, I would tell him as soon as I possibly could. Because I want the freedom to meet a girl out there somewhere in the world and be able to date her without worrying about my dad. Me saying I'm a lesbian feels right, and trying to pretend to be anything other than that really hurts me more than you can imagine. Getting my own place now isn't an option, so neither is telling him that I like girls. And even if he didn't take it that badly, it might just make things awkward if I stay here afterward.
    I don't know, what do you guys think I should do? I've been struggling with this for the longest time.. Any advice at all is appreciated.

2. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How about you keeping a journal? You can write in it things you would like to tell your family. That way you have an outlet and you can buy yourself some time.

3. meaningless

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so first of all i think you really shouldn't let your dad know for now. as you stated that to own your place is not an option, i guess you are still young. sometimes parents will have a larger tolerance to their kids when their kids really grown - like owning their places, got high position in big company etc.

and secondly, how is that girl of yours? you two are now together or what? i think she might have similar family problem and you two may just hang out secretly, without letting your families know about that. i did that when i was young. (i am not really old now, but i own my place so this is what i can advice)

4. DarkenedSoul

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's a good idea.. Never actually thought of that. Thank you.

Well I'm actually 20 but I just don't have the money for my own place right now.. xD

I don't have a girl.. ._. I was just saying I'd like to. I actually just got out of a relationship. (Strictly online, though.) But I guess I would have to do something like that, if I do meet someone.