1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My girlfriend is always upset with me.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Thegreatperhaps, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Thegreatperhaps

Okay, so this may be a bit long I'm not sure. Just in case, sorry for the long read! :s As a bit of some background information first: my girlfriend's relationships in the past were absolute shit. She was treated horribly, used, taken advantage of, cheated on, etc. So somewhere in between the mistreatment, she lost sight of what it meant to be respected and what being cared for is really like. Of course this absolutely breaks my heart and is part of why I am so determined to treat her like the lady she is. She's such a beautiful person, inside and out, and deserves to see what it's like to be with someone who wholeheartedly believes that.

But her past has caused some issues with our relationship and in turn, makes me feel like she's never happy with me. For example, before we were official but practically dating (this time period lasted around 3 months as I struggled with coming out and dealing with my insecurities), we went a little crazy. Like, nearly attacking each other every chance we had to be alone. My first serious relationship was long distance so I'd never been able to express something so physical before and she had fought so hard to finally get me so I was overwhelmed and completely excited. She waited so long for me and I was the first girl she realized she had feelings for, so needless to say, it was almost like a desperate, exploratory thing. But once I realized that I cared for her so much as a person, I tried putting an end to how things used to be. Instead of flirting, our phone calls turned into opening up and telling each other our dusty secrets. Which I really preferred. I didn't want to be like the rest, I have too much respect for her. However, this really pissed her off and we got into so many arguments about it. Sometimes we still do because balance in a relationship means a lot to me, and when I think things are off balance, I'm always the one to propose that instead of hanging in my room for hours, maybe we could go out to eat or have a picnic, somewhere we can just talk and simply enjoy each other's company. She almost always feels so rejected and pissed so I have to explain for hours that I'm not trying to reject her in any way, that's just not what I only want from her. It starts feeling empty.

And she has pretty harsh anger problems. For example, just today, I told her I may not be able to see her on our anniversary in July because I'm returning home from a trip two days prior with family and I don't know how happy they'd be with me leaving right away. And she said there'd be no point in celebrating it on another day, that it's not the same. Which I thought was a bit rude and unfair, I can't help it that I have family everywhere and the dates just happened to end up like they did.

I have a feeling this is more of a rant post than anything capable of being advised on, my apogies. I think in summary what I'm asking for is how do I handle someone who's constantly set off by the smallest of things (I'm a fucking baby emotionally), and someone who is used to sex being the basis of their relationships & kind of puts it as a top priority?
    I don't doubt her feelings for me, but it's a little upsetting that I'm always asking to just hang out instead of doing other things.

I hope this post wasn't a complete mess. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Thanks in advance for anything!

2. wanderinggirl

Ugh. Relationships are a mystery to me. And here you're dealing with someone who is emotionally traumatized and is probably expecting abandonment.

I think it's important that you make her aware of how her actions are affecting you. Maybe she doesn't realize how irrationally she has been acting, and once she takes your feelings into consideration she will check herself before lashing out. Maybe you also have to remind her why you are in this relationship, that you're in it for more than the sex.

Are you open to the idea of couples therapy? I don't know what the situation is like regarding LGBT-friendly couples therapists in your area, but it might help to open up the communication lines a bit.