1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2,015.3 miles

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LailaForbidden, Jun 28, 2013.

1. LailaForbidden

Never thought I would get myself in this situation. But, hey, shit happens. I know, here's another long distance story. They seem to be really common lately.

Anyway, I met this girl online about a month ago. (I know she's not a 50 year old man and I know she who she says she is,ect.) And we've been texting back and forth constantly everyday. We both like each other a lot and it's gotten pretty serious. This is the first girl who has actually returned my feelings. So, naturally, I fucked it up.

See, she lives two thousand miles away. Neither of us have the means to meet each other for two years or more. She's completely willing to wait, to do the long-distance thing. I am torn on the issue. I mean, it's two+ years of longing for something that may not even work in real life. Two years of longing and heartbreak. I'm not sure if I can handle that. So, I told her that and it pretty much demolished her. She said that she's willing to work this out. I have to idea what to do.

Part of me thinks "you are going to college in the fall and shouldn't be tied down. You need someone physically here and present. This situation is impossible. It would be really hard to make it work... don't you want to meet someone in college who you can really be with? And aren't you just holding her down as well?"

Another part of me is thinking "What is wrong with you? How could you let this amazing girl get away?! If you let her go you'd be thinking in 'what ifs' forever. Shouldn't you at least try?"

I don't know what to do here. EC is the only place I have to turn. What would be the best thing to do here? I want to do what is right by her. I want to cause her the least pain possible. And considering I pretty much broke her heart already, I think I owe her more than that.
    :help:
    Any advice?

2. DarkenedSoul

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not sure how much my advice will actually help, but I'm gonna give it a try anyway.. Sounds like you like this girl a lot, and if you really have strong feelings for her, I wouldn't let her go. I would probably go for it if I was you, anyway. And no matter how long you have to wait to be with her, if you really want her it will be worth the wait in the end. It may not work out but if you both really work at this I think you guys would be really happy together. And I think if you give up you might just regret it.. I hope I helped you out at least a little. And I hope you figure out what to do. ^^

3. Holly

I've been in long distance relationships before (albeit it was back when I thought I was straight), but I enjoyed them, and they were right for me at the time.

I would frankly talk to her about it, and see if you can make it work. If you like her a lot, go for it. But I'm sure both you and her know long distance relationships take work. But don't feel like you're signing the next two years of your life away. I found there was far more understanding in a long distance relationships, and if you give it a shot and find someone else, I'm sure she'll understand. She may be thinking the exact same thing that you are now, she just hasn't voiced it like you have.

Frankly, I would say go for it. It's not every day you find someone you like and who likes you back, especially in the LGBTQ community. But I would highlight your concerns to her, and be open to her about it along the way.

I hope you choose whatever you think is best for YOU. :slight_smile:

4. Anshel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’d also say go for it but be open to new people coming in your way.

5. LailaForbidden

Thanks guys. I think I am going to take your advice and go for it. I need to stop sabotaging myself.
    Anyway, thanks again! I feel much better now.

6. Holly

That's quite alright. Good luck to you both :grin:

7. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

And there's me worrying over a potential 0.02 mile relationship.

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, my mom says that if you don´t meet within two years the chance that you ever do, will get small. she read that soemwhere. it happen to come up cause my boyfriend has some friends oversee.

You´ll be keeping yourself from meeting someone where you are because you won´t be open to someone else.
    You can´t have any physical contact.

Basicly, you have a PENPAL.

Sure, you can develop something beautiful and meaningfull. If you can do without the physical part, it´s always good for something.

9. LailaForbidden

Yeah that's kinda what I'm worried about. :eek: Now im not sure what to do again. D:

#9 LailaForbidden, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  10. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With the many advances in technology, I think you should go for it. And if at any point you feel like you need that physical contact then discuss things with her. I started talking to this girl through Facebook years ago and she lives in Texas and I'm from Michigan. We have decided to see other people and then once we're able to meet, we will go from there. She is such an amazing girl that I have to at the least give it a chance. I plan on flying out to Texas to meet her on her birthday, but it is a surprise. If things do not workout then I'll have an awesome friend for life.

You'd be surprised how fast time flies, especially since you're going to college soon. There's nothing like having an amazing emotional connection with someone even if you cannot see them. Just think about how awesome you will feel once you are able to meet.

#10 pinklov3ly, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  11. LailaForbidden

That's a pretty awesome story. And I hope things work out with your lady friend! I think I will go for it, although we talked about things and I think we are just going to keep talking and not put a label on it... but still, it's not simply friendship. Anyway, thank you for your story and your advice (&&&)

12. meaningless

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think if i were you i will first pay her a short visit, say 2 or 3 days before i start the semester. and then you will have a better and more solid answer. i am having a long distance relationship now as well, but i think we are luckier as i can fly over to her once a month. that will be tough, undoubtedly, but it will work if you work on it. you know, my beloved just worth all my money and time and effort to stay in this LDR, and i think your someone does to you :wink: