1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We've come this far, but now what? Please help!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MaryMyers, Jun 28, 2013.

1. MaryMyers

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Please help, I understand that it's long, but have no one to speak with.

I'm a 21 year old female and my 'friend' is a 20 year old female. We met late last year at college, I was open about my sexuality with her (but still in the closet at home), and although keeping it hidden at first, she eventually revealed that she too was attracted to some women. This open communication soon lead to us becoming very close friends, and I could sense that she was interested in me. After months of speaking and the occasional trip to the pub, she kissed me one night. This lead to deep discussions about our feelings, even love, and then more making out in the following months. We planned a weekend away in which we shared a bed and each had our first sexual experience with a woman (each other, of course). To our suprise, we were sober the entire time.

After that weekend we secretly began acting like a couple without the official title, hanging out and kissing and cuddling and phone calls etc. That is, until her mother became suspicious and discovered the truth. Due to her homophobic beliefs, she made her daughter's life miserable and my friend was struggling to cope. There were a couple of times where she said we would have to just be friends, but then quickly would say she can't just be my friend because she wants to be my lover. There were also a couple of times where she expressed that she's still unsure of her sexuality, which caused a little conflict. She recently made the decision to end our 'relationship' and just stay friends because her mother will never change her mind and it's not fair on either of us to be stuck in this situation. It hurt a lot, for both of us. My mom sensed that something was wrong, and I finally came out to her. She's been very accepting.

The other afternoon, we caught up for the first time since the 'break up'. It was odd to act as friends but we managed at first. After a couple of drinks we decided to play pool like old times, so of course we began flirting a little. She beat me for the first time ever, and without intending to offend her, I joked 'you only won because you're not whipped anymore'. She took it the wrong way and we went outside, I tried getting her to talk to me but she wouldn't, so I hugged her from behind and apologized and she began to cry. She basically said that it's been so hard for her to try and let go of me and that clearly she still wants to be with me, but she knows that she can't because of her family. We eventually went back inside and began reminiscing, when she said 'I really want to kiss you'. We ended up in the bathroom together, and after initial hesitation, a kiss turned into sex. She told me she loves me, we were holding hands and cuddling and kissing for the rest of the night.

What on Earth are we supposed to do? She's suggested that we continue sleeping together occassionally until we're able to just stop and have a platonic friendship. This also means sleeping with other people if we wish (I highly doubt that I would though). Is this 'friends with benefits' arrangement trouble waiting to happen or does it make sense? Is there a mutually beneficial solution to this problem? Any way to make it work? Do homophobic parents ever change their attitudes?

Your help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To answer your question, I would recommend that you stop sleeping together. She needs to reconcile her feelings for you and the lack of acceptance from her Mom. If she does not then she's going to continue this cycle and she's going to drag you into it. If she's suggesting that you become friends with benefits then someone is going to get hurt. I've been there before, and I was the one to end things with the last girl I dated. She loved me, but I did not feel the same way about her. I could not allow myself to lead her on any more because she thought that she could change how I felt about her. However, if you feel like it is something that you'd like to try then give it a shot.

I'm unsure if the relationship could work though, especially in the long run because it appears that she wants to be friends. And because you two love each other, seeing her with someone else isn't going to sit well with you and vice versa.

Thankfully, I do not have homophobic parents, but I think it is possible for them to change. It may take some time, but if your friend remains persistent about her feelings for women to her mother then she may make some sort of breakthrough. I've witnessed some of the most homophobic people change their ways because they realized how much they were hurting someone they cared about.

#2 pinklov3ly, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013