1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was I overreacting?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ethan132, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Ethan132

So, I was with some of my girl friends (as in friends that are girls, they know I'm bisexual btw). The topic of guys came into the conversation. They were talking about guys they were dating and crushes. All of a sudden I started to choke up inside a bit. Whenever I would talk about my boyfriend, people would treat me like I was preaching about a god they didn't believe in. They would always just try to kill the topic as fast as possible. Eventually I burst into tears and started ranting about how unfair I felt they were treating me. I just couldn't believe that they would have such a double standard as "We can talk about boys but, if Ethan starts going, oh man we need to reel him in". I know they probably didn't mean anything by talking about it but, I have all these pent up emotions that, I am having a hard time telling people about. I don't know how I feel about the situation anymore. I think I may have overracted a bit. What do you guys think? Should I say sorry for being so dramatic or stand by what I said?

2. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, in this situation you might have overreacted since you didn't talk about your boyfriend. But in cases where people try to kill the conversation or change the topic, just casually an calmly ask why they are changing the topic or I thought we were talking about our boyfriends. That way they get the message (hopefully) and you can continue to talk about your boyfriend or guys you like, whatever.

I also think in this case you should apologize but more for how you reacted than what you said. Who knows maybe your friends will ask why you burst out like that and it'll get to you talking to them about how you feel people don't let you talk about guys. Perhaps in the case of friends they subconsciously do as a defense mechanism as they might not be used to a guy talking about guys he has crushes on or the guy he is currently dating.