1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suits, as a type

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tightrope, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even when I was a late teen or while in college, if I found myself downtown, the prevalence of suits, typically handsome guys in their 30s through their 40s, caught my eye for eye candy.

Then, you can throw what are known as daddies into this category. A daddy is hard for me to describe that easily. He's not a bear, but probably a virile handsome middle-aged male who tends to be well built, have a commanding presence, and hairiness is variable.

Suits who were daddies were a good combination for catching my eye.

I have a dad who I got along with well and was always present. He was not a suit and he looked nothing like these guys who caught my eye.

After reading some of the posts here and seeing the celebrities people mention, I wonder if this attraction is all that common among young adult males. Also, if there are any theories or explanations for someone younger being attracted to this type, I wouldn't mind hearing the input.

2. catatonie

Maybe because attractive middle aged men in suits are viewed as classically masculine and upper-class? I think the whole attraction to "daddies" often stems from the feeling of wanting to be taken care of. A lot of what I hear/read from nonhet guys who are in to that generally cite masculinity as their main attraction.

Not to get Freudian, but there's some level of "daddy-issue" with seeking out solely the kind of man who's going to let you call him Daddy. I don't even begin to assume your father was terrible because of this, but I think a lot of boys feel unfulfilled with their relationships with their fathers, because their father didn't exactly taking the nurturing, affectionate role (or maybe he did and that's what you expect??) But I wouldn't read too much in to that because it makes people squirm and is probably less significant than our societal view of the benefits of hot dudes in suits.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like the "classical" argument you present.

Since I'm considered fairly masculine, sans being nuts over sports, I have never wanted to be nurtured or taken care of, since I have been a free spirit and an independent thinker since roughly starting college. If anyone needed to be more nurturing, it would have been my mom (LOL) because I was better friends with my dad growing up!

But the idea of it being a normative or classical societal view does indeed resonate.