1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with her homophobic mother?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MaryMyers, Jun 29, 2013.

1. MaryMyers

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This girl (20) and I (21) met late last year, and after talking for ages it became clear that she was into me. Neither of us had been with a girl before, but I had always wanted to. We began hanging out and she kissed me one night, which eventually lead to us revealing our feelings for each other and even having sex during a weekend away together months later. So for almost five months we've basically been together in secret, doing things that couples do and loving each other.

Her mom found out about us a month or so ago and tolerated but didn't accept it. Her mind soon changed though - she began making my girl's life miserable at home - to the point where she nearly moved out. Her mom was threatening to tell my parents (I've now told my mom, who is fine with my sexuality) and was saying insulting things about both of us. Because of this, my girl told me our 'relationship' had to end because there's no hope of her mother ever changing her mind, and she doesn't want to lose her mother.

But we're both upset that we can't be together, and we caught up for the first time since the 'break up' on Saturday. She cried and expressed her hurt and we ended up kissing and even having sex.

Is there any hope for us to be together? How do you deal with a homophobic mother? Have any of you been in this position? Please help, thanks!

2. BlueSupernova

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok, I might be young, but don't underestimate me.
    As hard as it might be on your girls relationship with her mother, you can't let her prejudice ruin this wonderful relationship you have with this girl. I mean, she sounds awesome for you! And, in life, some people never find someone they feel like that with. So please, don't let her go, don't bow down to her mother's (no offense) rather ridiculous opinions.
    I don't think your girlfriend as made her choice yet. I think the break up wasn't the end. You have to confront your girlfriend and tell her how you feel, and even confront her mother, because, please, don't let her mothers old fashioned opinions ruin what you have. It might take some bravery, and it might take a long time, but, yes, there is hope for you to be together. You just gotta put it in place.
    I hope this helped. :slight_smile: