1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do we want to come out?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Batman, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's weird how much I want to tell my friend about my sexuality. It's not like I have romantic feelings for him, I just really want to tell someone. I'm sure he wouldn't give a rat's ass, and it wouldn't change anything for me.So why do I want to tell him? Do I want to "free my spirit" or some shit? i don't plan on being in any relationships any time soon anyways, so it's not like coming out would affect me anyways?

TL;DR What was your reason for coming out?

2. djone12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    come out i told my frend he dident care and it felt reily good

3. Minx

*ponders* I came out because I was tired of the people around me pretending that my sexuality was what they hoped it would be.

I just wanted the truth to be known. Basically: I'm gay, that's a part of who I am and I'm letting you know because I want you to know exactly who I am. I don't care if you accept it or not but this is my existence.

That's what it is for me. ^-^

4. Hexagon

I think we come out out of a desire to be known and understood as we are, and not as someone we're pretending to be.

5. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out because I was dating my first girlfriend at the time and I did not want to keep our relationship a secret. It did not seem fair that I'd quietly sit in the corner while everyone was talking about their relationships. And in hopes that they would not ask me if I was dating anyone, even when I desperately wanted to brag about my awesome relationship.

I also enjoy PDA, so now it makes sense to people when they see me being affectionate towards a woman.

#5 pinklov3ly, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  6. LD579

I told people because I wanted to be able to be 100% myself around them. If a cute, hot, and/or handsome guy came around, I'd wanted to be able to point that guy out, for instance.

Besides, it's kinda hard to find guys to date if you're in the closet. How will people know you're available, you know?

Also, I had thought this: if I ever did date a guy, I'd want my friends and perhaps family to know about it.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanted to be myself, and not have to be someone that I'm not around my family and friends. Also, if I ever ended up having a boyfriend, I didn't want to just be bombarded with questions about it.

8. NEWFrontiers22

Ditto:grin:

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

So I wouldn't have to lie anymore. It's a lot easier to be honest than to keep up a façade, so coming out was saving me mental effort.

10. Holly

To me, it meant they can accept me for who I am. I've definitely become closer to the people I've told. It's also a heavy burden having to hide it from everyone. Instead, I can be myself round some people.

11. Sardonic

I came out because it was the only way to convince my roommate and his girlfriend to stop being around me. I haven't seen her since that day, and my roommate and I are still decent friends. After I told them, I just kinda went down the list and told people when and where I could, as soon as I could.

12. AAASAS

I told my parents because I didn't want to get kicked out(got heavy into drugs and partying and was a real fuck up; still am a fuck up).

I haven't told anyone else on my own accord, so it seems the only reason I will come out is if it benefits me from being in a crappy situation.

Which I think why a lot of people come out, to avoid being in their situation.

Lieing gets annoying, but I still do it to my friends, so I guess they haven't given me a situation where I have to tell them in order to help the situation. For now it seems it would worsen the situation to come out.

13. StarNights

StarNights Guest

Well I was just really tired of all my friends asking me "Do you like any guy yet? Not even him? Isnt he just a little cute? Are you sure?" And blaha, also it felt like I was hiding a big part of who I am, and that didnt feel right towards them. So I came out to everyone not too long ago, thankfully they didnt give a **** either :slight_smile:
    Goodluck :wink:

14. FluffyKinz

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I haven't come out to much people but I do it because it helps me feel more genuine... It feels like i can be my true self, instead of what everyone else assumes me to be. In a way, it's liberating.

15. biggayguy

First, my parents were asking questions about what I did with my time. I got tired of making up stories or just being silent.
    Second, I was afraid they would find out about me marching in the Pride parade and going out to gay clubs.
    Third, they didn't understand why I changed churches.

16. LinkLarkin

I was tired about keeping all of the thoughts about men to myself. I wanted to have a chat to female friends about them!

I also just want to be myself around people. Since telling my close friends I've become more comfortable saying/doing things that I never even knew I was stopping myself from saying/doing before.

Finally, I only know a handful of LGBT people in real life and since fully accepting my sexuality I really want to meet some like minded people! It's hard to turn up to LGBT societies/gay clubs/pride parades when you're still in the closet.

17. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I didn´t come out as such. I just don´t care anymore if people know, and when they ask, I answer truthfully. My parents always knew and said I could come home with either a boy- or girlfriend.
    I never had the feeling that I needed to tell people, cause I feel it is non of their buisness if I go to bed with a guy or a girl.

I even have homophobic friends. They are friends with me cause they like me and my orientation has nothing to do with that and vice versa.

I do, however a kind of urge to talk about "gay matters" if you wish, and my boyfriend, which I can´t with them, that´s why I joined EC.

18. sammy1

I think that is exactly why i feel the need to come out to my family especially. plus, its getting harder and harder to lie each time i am asked 'why dont u have a bf' etc

19. I came out because I wanted people to see me for who who I truly am, not the protective shell that I had been wearing my whole life.

You just want to know what it feels like to be free, in a way. It makes you look on the world with a new perspective.