1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there anything wrong with wondering what it would be like if I am not around ?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Sometimes I just wonder what affect my death (like from suicide) would have on my family. Like how I would rip their hearts to bits, how they would probably never forget me, how I would be this dark cloud over the rest of their lives.

To be honest I stops my suicide thoughts, I couldn't inflict this on them, I used to assume that they would just get on with their lives like I never existed, but now I know that would never happen. Parents are never going to forget their only son are they.

2. Viridian

Viridian Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I think most people do question their worth in others. To know that we mattered to someone.

Unless you were a terrible person, someone out in the world would be devastated when they find out that you are gone.

I have a friend who once tried to harm himself. He was drunk, but he told me that he wanted to see what would happen if he tried to hurt himself. He was scared that not many people would come to his funeral if he was ever gone. I told him "It's not a competition. Because you are dead".

I can tell you from personal experience that when you make a connection with another being, when you are gone, they would be hurt.

Accepting a loss is part of the grieving process; it doesn't mean that they will forget you, rather, it means that they accept that you are gone and that your legacy will always be a part of them.

I would suggest to just live your life to the fullest and try to find happiness rather than worry about who would be coming to your funeral. Personally, I could probably count everyone who would come to my funeral on both hands and it doesn't bother me. It's not a popularity contest. It's better to just focus your energy on cherishing those special individuals that are in your circle instead.