1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does Everyone think this?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clarkec1, Jul 4, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

A lot of people that I know, seem to presume that me and my best friend are in a gay relationship.

No!

Why is it that if a gay or at least bisexual guy who only properly hangs around with another guy all the time, they immediately think and almost confirm that you are going out?

Sure enough we are very close, if fact, he probably does more of the loving and touchy stuff than I do. But I know that he doesn't mean anything by it more than just friendly comfort and bromance (is that the right word?). We will always be there for each other, and to be honest I love him, and he loves me - just not in that way.

We always joke around and ask each other out nearly every day, and we constantly make jokes about one another's orientations, but neither of us get offended, and I simply find it hilarious and somewhat weird that we can happily joke about it.

But what really annoys me is that people seriously think we're going out. Just... No. If her liked me, I would respectfully decline, as I wouldn't want our friendship to change whatsoever; and I would ask him if we could continue our relationship without awkwardness or alteration. And I would talk about it with him, because I would have thought that it is purely devastating when you ask someone out, they so no, and you never talk about it again. You must be just wrapped up with yourself apwith no one to talk to about it.

But I really want to stop these people from such judgemental and stubborn predictions.

2. livinglifefree

People are always going to make snap to judgments. There is really nothing you can do to stop them. You just have to learn to let it roll off your back. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is the truth.

3. AlexKnight

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You shouldn't worry about what they say or think either way. Your friendship sounds like the one I have with my best friend, and we've had to deal with the same B.S. before. We just choose to ignore it because it doesn't really matter in the end. What matters is that we have each other's backs through thick and thin.

Those people probably don't know the wonderful feeling of having a close friend to hug and share feelings and secrets with. Poor fools. Just remember that you're the lucky ones in the end, and keep on with your strong friendship :slight_smile:

4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think people have problems processing that those who could potentially be a relationship (eg. two friends who are gay/bi) would not want to be in one.

I myself am in one of these friendships, and it's great. I think half the fun of being in these platonic relationships is that you get to fool around and flirt with each other because you know nothing will come from it. It's annoying to keep explaining to people that you don't like each other like that, but it's how it works.

5. xwitnessx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    people are going to think what they think, all the time. the real only way to stop this in your situation is to stop hanging out with this guy in public, but that wouldn't be fun would it? just to make everyone else in the world happy? no. don't worry about what other people say and just be happy and do you :]

6. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    This happens regardless of orientation, im straight guy and everytime someone sees me hanging out with a female friend they always assume something is going on. There is some closed minded BS mainstream idea/myth, that men and women cannot be friends unless one of them is gay/lesbian, they even made a video about it on youtube (why men and women cannot be friends) and im sure the interviewer manipulated the video later to only portray men saying that men and women cannot be friends..

I guess that an extension of that idea is that gay guys cannot have guy friends and lesbians cannot have female friends.

Apparently we are supposed to feel attracted to everyone of our favorite gender, and apparently being slighty attracted means you will risk the friendship for a hook up or a relationship you dont want.