1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tetris?

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Just Jess, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Just Jess

So I'm kind of hitting a wall with Tetris, and I figured I'd just put a thread out there for any Tetris masters just for fun. If you wanna give any tips or tricks that would be totally cool.

Talking about strategy can get kind of complicated so I figured I'd throw some ground stuff in this post.

First, there's seven pieces: L, J, O, I, S, Z, and T.

Second, there's a few differences between Tetris versions out there. "B-type" means any board that comes with pieces already there. "Unlimited" means that you keep going 'till you lose. "Puzzle" means you have either a limited number of pieces, or you have a shape you have to fill in. "Time attack" means you rack up as high a score as you can with a time limit. And then there's "competitive", or 2-player, including a lot of online play. In competitive play, playing well usually penalizes your opponent somehow, for example, making a bunch of pieces appear at the bottom of their board.

A lot of games have a piece you can store, and that piece is called your "swap" piece. This makes competitive play more fun since you can store an I piece and unload a back to back Tetris on someone. Most versions also show you the piece that's about to fall, or your "next" piece.

A "Tetris" means clearing 4 lines at the same times and is worth a lot more points than anything else. Some games reward you extra for "back-to-back Tetris".

A "combo" means you drop multiple pieces in a row that each clear lines.

A "T-spin" means you drop a T piece down and, at the last second, rotate it underneath some other pieces in a way that leaves it somewhere where you couldn't drop it.

Some games will reward you if you clear every single piece off the board. Yes it can be done, the easiest way to do it is laying pieces horizontally and sweeping left and right a lot, but you won't get a Tetris this way.

The "board" is all the pieces that have been played and not cleared. It's 10 lines wide and an arbitrary number of lines (usually at least 12) high.

A "ghost" is a silhouette of a piece that sometimes appears at the bottom of the board, showing you where you're going to drop. A lot of people turn these off and consider them cheating, but they really don't affect the game at all at high speeds.

Some games you can spin pieces clockwise or counterclockwise. Other games you can only spin pieces one way. Almost always you can make a piece drop faster, and if you do it scores you more points even if you don't clear lines. Some games let you drop a piece instantly.

So who else is addicted?

Where I'm hitting my wall right now is I keep slipping in a version where you can only rotate pieces one way, either not spinning them far enough or spinning them too far. Kind of annoyed with myself over this but practice makes perfect right?

2. LD579

...For what it's worth, it sounds like you'd kick my butt all over the world and into a pit of lava if we ever played against each other. I used to play it but I'm not that good. I wonder if I've ever even gotten 4 lines cleared at the same time. I highly doubt it, ahaha.

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Goddammit, I see the word ONCE and now I wanna go play it in the Arcade or on Tetris Friends...

Goodbye, responsibilities!

4. Just Jess

Ha! Well, I take my time wasting probably a little too seriously :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Some people are out there fighting world hunger, I'm trying to manuver blocks into place.

Mwa ha HA!

5. LinkLarkin

I do love Tetris but I always end up suffering from "the Tetris effect" after a couple of days if I get too into it, so I usually have to limit myself quite harshly... :rolle: