1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moral thought experiment

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Phoenix92, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thought experiment:
    There are 5 perfectly healthy young adults tied to train tracks, a trolly cart(the breaks aren't working) is moving down the tracks uncontrollably. There is a morbidly obese man with heart disease who is one hamburger away from keeling over standing next to the tracks. You calculate he has enough mass to stop the cart.
    Now for the dilemma:
    Do you allow the trolly to kill the five healthy people, or do you push the man in front of the cart?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people would consider killing the five because they are not actively involved, and by the act of pushing the fat guy into the path, they are physically involved in the death of that man.

3. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But by killing the five healthy people, are you not causing more harm to the greater good than by pushing the one person in the way?

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll pretend I don't know the two outcomes as to what they state about your morality.

5. DarkClarity

Well what about sacrificing yourself in order to save the five healthy people and the obese person?

6. Simple Thoughts

I know this test, and I know what it determines xD

I would personally watch the five people die. After all it'd be lousy to get arrested for murder :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because I do not have enough mass to stop the trolly, so sacrificing myself would also kill the five people tied down to the tracks, six die instead of five or one.

8. Simple Thoughts

You don't weigh enough...well unless you're also a cheeseburger away from death.

9. DarkClarity

Then I'd push the obese man onto the track to save the five. I know I'd be committing murder and I'd spend the rest of my in prison but saving the maximum amount of people would be a better outcome than five deaths.

10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 99% certain I'd walk on. I might break the law if I know any of the adults and I reckon there's a decent chance of me getting away with murder. I highly doubt I'd get away with the murder, thus my 99% chance of walking on. Maybe the adults did something REALLY bad and this is vigilante justice. Maybe the obese guy has health problems and it isn't his fault he is that way. Many people find it difficult to hurt or kill others because they'd be haunted by their actions. Even if their actions saved the majority of people. Maybe we don't really know how we'd act until it happens. It's fun to think about it though.

11. setnyx

the good of the five out weigh the good of the one. no pun intended.

12. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your honor is duly noted, but unfortunately, the morbidly obese man is such by his own doing, and the five people are truly innocent, none of them have committed any crimes. So by walking onto the tracks, in place of pushing the man on, you doom not only yourself, but the other five people. Six honorable people die instead of one person who has squandered what he has.

13. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps 'walk on' was a bad choice of words. I refuse to throw my life away even if said people are innocent. Walk on as in... walk away and pretend I saw nothing. I'm selfish and I don't care if these people die. I'm not risking prison.

14. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll probably just keep walking :shrug:

15. boyatstake

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh! it's a good situation, it's a problem that you need to come up with your own solutions and from that solution, people can know what type of groups you belong to when you react to that dilemma!

As for me, I choose not to push the fat man not because I dont want to get involved in a crime of stuff like that! obviously, this is a very important case which you can not just ignore and walk by for ur own sake, it's quite insensitive! I choose not to push the man because he has nothing to do with it, apparently if you push him, he is just the wrong person being at the wrong place and wrong time! If he is some kind of evil person who just wants to eat all the time, insensitive to people then death is not really the right punishment for him let alone he may be the good one with a nice wife and a big family waiting for him at home. The same with 5 young adults, at the first sight, we can not just decide who is good enough to deserve a life and who not, we just know at that moment, everybody is born free and equally, that's why we should let things happen naturally.

However, if i were in that case, i would do everything, yell, shout, kick the trolly, whatever it may be to help them ( but i think this answer wont be acceptable rite :grin:).

Just consider it as a lesson and be careful the next time we go outside :slight_smile: hope nobody will ever be put in this situation ever.

Thank thread starter for a good and interesting topic :slight_smile: nice knowing you

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2014 at 01:27 PM ----------

That's quite insensitive but in a way, it will be the most natural thing that everyone would do if they were put in that situation :slight_smile: you are not selfish if you choose to do nothing friend, its naturally understandable :slight_smile:

#15 boyatstake, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  16. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is why I consider myself selfish... you know those questions where they say 1000 people die or you die? Those 1000 people can die!

I'm a bit of a health freak and I confess to laughing at programs such as "World's Biggest Loser". But at least those people are trying to get fit. I am bothered by the obesity crisis in my country. I know it's not the only country with this problem. Some people only have themselves to blame for becoming obese and yes such people bother me. There are too many factors to consider. They might be depressed and can't get treatment. If they're mentally healthy, free of health problems, free of negative environmental factors and they eat themselves to death... yes, I've got a serious problem with that. So be it if it is body shaming.

Allow me to defend myself. I'd consider myself pretty calm in situations where most people panic like headless chickens. But the hypothetical situation would be dramatic for me and I don't want to become involved! I am a qualified first aider and I've seen a compound fracture with the bone sticking out. Another first aider fainted. Way to make the injured guy feel comfortable, eh?

I enjoy pondering moral dilemmas. I hope I never encounter one in real life. The obese man might have people that care about him. If anyone manages to sacrifice the obese man to save the 5 innocent people... in a sick way I kinda admire that. I know I couldn't do it. Also 5 innocent people who never committed crimes are cool in my eyes. There can be harm done without breaking the law. I'm making the assumption that the 5 people are akin to saints. Wow, I've rambled...

17. Ben

Ben

I'd push the fat man every time.

18. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Walk on. I could never live with myself for murdering a dude no matter what good came from it.

19. thekillingmoon

Let's see, you push someone, you're a murderer. I would stay out if it. You can't hold yourself responsible for any of this. Those people didn't end up on the tracks because of you. And there was nothing you could do to save everyone. Obviously murdering another human is not the solution. It's not about the number of people who die, even if you cause one person's death, you'd still feel guilty.

20. tscott

If you're on a train platform surely you and the fat guy could move some inanimate object on to the traks an save those on the tracks.