1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EC Writing Club!

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by BookDragon, Mar 19, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK it's not so much a club as it is me telling people to do things and hoping someone does!

Anyway, in another thread an idea was hatched whereby every so often a writing challenge would be set. You will be given a certain amount of words to write about a given theme.

All themes will be left intentionally open so as to encourage creativity.

The task will be to write a fragment from any section of a story based on that theme.

An example theme might be "Western (cowboys)"

The theme itself suggests some specific elements. We all know what a western involves. However it is also vague enough that we can be creative.

I could write a historical fiction. I could write of a dystopian future with a western leaning. I could write from the lawmakers point of view. I could write from the bad guys point of view. I could write the barkeeps diary in the aftermath of a bar fight. I could write a letter from Mrs Jones to her Brother in Arkansas telling him about life in Festers Gulch.

CREATIVITY!

Occasionally I may throw out some extra parameters so people get practice including things they wouldn't have put in on their own.

THe most important thing is that this is a story fragment! We don't want you to try and cram a whole story into 500 words. This gives you the opportunity to imagine the bigger work and write part of it.

Perhaps you write the introduction. Maybe a character description. The thrilling conclusion or the action-packed shoot-out.

The point of this is not to write 'the best' bit of story. The point is to see how our writing styles differ and to improve our writing by focusing on one section of a larger piece! There is no winner, there is just expression.

So since I've already explained it, we will go for the western.

Challenge:
    Word count: 500-750 words.
    Theme: Western
    Required Content: None

Good luck!

PS. There is a SIMILAR thread to this here, however the purpose of these threads are completely different so please don't close either of them mods! :slight_smile:

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My MS Word expired and I have no word count! :eek: I hope I didn't go over the limit. This is less "Wild West" and more "early 1800's westward migration" but I actually really like it.

-------------------------------

Incredulous laughter rumbled from under Pa's beard at the front of the wagon, jarring me back to our ever bumpy drudgery. He had quite the sense of timing. Just a second before, Orpheus had finally bested the trying crevices of the earth and emerged in Hades with his mortality intact. The gall, the grandeur of his feats! And all for his only and dearest love, Eurydice. The muse-blessed traveler had all hope on his side thanks to this pivotal moment.

I highly doubt my pa appreciated the romance, however. For all the love and gallantry he showed in daily chores I could almost have sworn Ma was a hired hand. Nor did he have any way of knowing what part of the book I was reading.

He must have been chuckling at something else entirely. It was likely prairie dogs chasing each other around, or a joke scribbled on a sign beside the "road" of twin wheel ruts. It could have even been remembering my little brother some months ago, when he called out to us and swung from the old tree down into the lake wearing his Sunday best. Those clothes were still damp by the time he needed them again, and the welt on his backside looked like an accurate elevation map of Turkey before they were done with him. But some time later, he did finally admit it was a fantastic leap.

He called out to me in his grizzled way, "Elijah! Your book will still be there for you if you let it alone. Won't you put it down a spell and take a gander at the landscape?"

I sighed under my breath. "Yes, sir," I said, dutifully as a soldier to his sergeant. Philistine. Pa was a hard working man; he helped build the schoolhouse which later proved my window to the world. But he was too old to share in its intangible panorama. The faraway lands I visited in books were wasteful gibberish to him.

There was no choice but to shield myself from the blinding sun beyond the front of the Conestoga canopy. Though when my eyes adjusted, I took the name of the Lord in vain.

"Well, he did have something to do with it." Pa said this so matter-of-factly, like it didn't plant a dizzying awe of the world in him. The colors! The life! The scale! What any could assume was the whole of the Rocky range lay ahead of us, bathed in all the majesty of creation. But I knew what we saw now, in all its inestimable hugeness, was hardly even a footnote were one to draw out the entire region. My breath had taken flight. I knew for a fact that Mount Olympus was an unreachable height from back home in Missouri. But if needed to house an eternally-discerning pantheon in its absence, his and my mind found harmony: this land would do.

#2 Argentwing, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  3. Abbra

Dust. It’s such a strange and pesky concept. Millions of little particles come together to form one giant nuisance. Not that it’s a foreign concept to me. I grew up with fourteen brothers and sisters, all of which survived. It’s the kind of blessing that makes you realize that God’s no more mature than a child setting an egg on a fat man’s chair when he’s not looking. God is in it more for the pranks than the power.
    Guess I can kind of respect that. When I joined the monastery at seventeen, I didn’t know what to think. It was free room and board, and I didn’t have to deal with women. Not that I’m looking for men. That’s something I always hear whispered behind my back. Wish I could avoid a woman without looking for a man. I guess that might be why I joined the monastery. People at the monastery know when to shut their trap.
    My horse’s hooves kicked up a little more dust each time its clumsy foot hit the waterless earth. Underneath the loose earth was an ancient layer of dirt hardened by the years of abuse from animals just like us. My teeth were coated in in dust. My feet were coated in dust. Everything on that road was somehow overtaken by the Earth too weak to stick.
    A man had died one town over. He needed a blessing from some poor monk. I didn’t like doing blessings, there was always too much crying and too much traveling. He was apparently once a sheriff. Probably not a very good one though, seeing how I never heard of him. Had to tip my hat to him though, he lived right on the outskirts of town. Any man who keeps me from wandering into the marketplace is a friend of mine. A modest shadow was growing from the dancing heated air, with a little more texture than the buildings looming in the distance. I rightfully assumed that it was my destination. My grip loosened on the reigns of my horse as she wandered into shady sanctuary cast by the house itself. The bottom of my boots scratched against the splintering wood on their porch, and if I had been a bigger man, my feet would have fallen through right to the sand. My knuckles rapped at the equally rough door and it was a miracle the skin on my knuckles wasn’t broken.
    After some shuffling that was amplified by the quiet desert, the door flung open, revealing a pudgy woman with obsidian hair tamed into a long braid. Her dry, yellow tinted eyes glanced up at me, only for them to return to her feet sticking out from her skirt.
    “He’s in here,” she muttered. As she walked, her body bobbed from left to right like a rickety wagon.
    There wasn’t a whole lot in the house. Hell, there was barely furniture. All the pots, pans, and knick knacks were laid across the floor like a merchant. Not that there was much to lay. The man was stiffly on top of the bed with his minor stench increasing as it baked in the heat.
    “Just say what you need. Nothing more,” said his wife. Not one tear was in her lemon eyes. She shut the door behind her.
    Part of me always wondered about them, the people that departed. I always wondered how they got to this point. A lot of times, their families were very telling. A happy family would echo with devastation, while a broken family only lamented their burdens. But it was always just speculation, never answers. That’s how I liked it.
    I got down on one knee and whispered into his ear. My breath raised dust from the hole as it got caught and reflected into the sky’s overbearing rays. My bible was placed firmly on the ground as it blended in with the rest of the junk littering the ground.
    “If nobody takes pity on you, will god?” I uttered into his lifeless body.
    The overwhelming silence informed me that he probably didn’t. I sure as hell didn’t. Pity and death is for fools. Truth is, we aren’t looking for an afterlife. All we want are those few moments of orgasm before our hearts stop beating.
    Looking at his wife, and looking at his home, the only answer I know is that he failed. He was just dust.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried to go for a split perspective story...not sure if it works but you know, read it and let me know.

They say when you meet a man you treat him like a brother, but always know how you're gonna beat him. Forget who said it. Doesn't matter. Straight ahead. Tall. Unarmed. Limp. Swift kick to right knee. Break. Move on. Across the street. Short. Agile. Unarmed. Red face – possible temper. Break guard. Disorientate. Grab belt. Throw. Everyone can be beaten.

Powers out. No surprise. Nothing in the town works how it should. Thank The Deacon for that. 15 years of absolute control. Claims to be a man of God. No god I recognize. Prostitution. Extortion. Bribery. Torture. Murder. List goes on.

Left side alleyway. Junkie. Bulge in right pocket – possible weapon. Shaking. Approaching. Knife. Step left. Turn. Shatter knuckles with cane. Knife dropped. Still coming. Step right. Turn. Grab shattered hand. Contort. Junkie on his knees. Gun barrel to temple.

“Where is he?”

Don't need an answer. Already know. Junkies never know anyway. Never ask as long as they get their fix. Holster weapon. Break neck. Can't let him leave. They all work for him.

Corner of main street. Tavern. Loud. Smells bad. My kind of place. Know it well. I enter.

Left. Barman. Fat. Can't run. Shotgun under counter. Katie, the serving girl – do not kill. No threat to us. Three at bar. Drunk. Two armed. Right. Part of four. Three beers, one water. Which one is sober. All armed. Ahead. Six. Poker. Always hiding something. Ahead. Dancer. Two coloureds. No threat. Old man at piano. Know face. Forget name.

“Single malt.”

Barman pours my drink. Asks where I'm from. Don't respond. Not here to make friends.

“Another.”

Barman pours another. Makes some comment, doesn't 'appreciate my tone'. Asks what I'm in town for.

“Deacon.”

Barman pours another drink. Didn't have to ask. Excuses himself, goes out back. Doesn't return.

Click.

Drop. Roll. Six-shooter in hand. Piano man's shot breaks a window. Take aim. Click. Click. Click. 10 guns aimed at me. Would be more, the rest too drunk to care. Shit. Piano man. Remember the name. Bill White. Deacons best shot. Shit.

“We got Jonas.” announced a small man with a thin moustache. Oakfield, The Deacons right hand man. “Caught him in a bar on main.” Oakfield rarely expected praise. He had become accustomed to the sceptical view The Deacon took with everything. There was always something more to be done, something that needed improving. But this time was different. This time The Deacon seemed angry.

He never turned to look at Oakfield, he continued to stare out of his office window that looked over the town.

“How many dead?”

For once, Oakfield felt confident. “None...'less you count a junkie, and I sure as heck don't...” This was good news, surely this would elicit at least a smile from the the man. But The Deacon remained silent. Where Oakfield an observant man he would have noticed The Deacons skin becoming redder. He would have seen his hands becomes fists. He would have seen the fury reflected in the glass window. But Oakfield was not an observant man. This, ultimately, would be his undoing, for instead of being prepared to calm The Deacon down, Oakfield had decided that this news would make The Deacon happy. This pleasant imagining went with him until his final moments. Three seconds later as he dropped to the floor with a bullet in his skull.