1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do you think of the country you live in?

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by sisyfus, Jul 21, 2008.

1. sisyfus

sisyfus Guest

rather straightforward, what do you think of the country you live in. do you like it? would you like to live somewhere else?

2. Helen

Helen Guest

I live in the UAE, and I don't like it, for a multitude of reasons.

Homosexuality is illegal, and the country is ruled mainly by a royal family, meaning that we don't get a word in edgeways about any laws or rules passed, we just have to obey them.

I also don't like it because there's a lot of biased thoughts and racism here; many UAE nationals behave very arrogantly and rudely to foreigners and expatriates. I know it's their country and everything, but tourism is one of the UAE's main sources of income, and they should at least be nice to us :frowning2:

The expats don't help it along either, most of them don't care about middle eastern culture at all, and they seem to forget that we are visitors, so we *should* try to be as respectful as possible. But they aren't really. Also, most of the expat teenagers and kids are horribly spoilt, are in tight knit groups, and many of them are also quite homophobic:frowning2:

/rant.

3. I don't like it. I'm leaving as soon as I get the chance.

4. paint

I really don't know. I hear that our country is doing...pretty bad, but I can't imagine living anywhere else. My parents want to live in Pennsylvania. :icon_sad:
    I'm going back to Houston in a week; every time I go it always ...feels right. The only thing I have left there is my family and Galveston. :confused:
    Right now I'm trying to just think about college, and I'll worry about where I want to live later.

5. grapevine fires

I like it here, it's a large country, and I have yet to travel its entire area, but if/when I can, I'm going to backpack across Europe.

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This country (USA) has a lot of problems, but many other countries have far worse off problems so I suppose I should be lucky to live in America.

7. Shebbs

:slight_smile: I do quite enjoy living in Canada.

8. musicXowl

its alright, needs some improvement tho
    i would rather live somewhere like england or france

9. davo-man

I love living in Australia, but it has it's drawbacks. I think the landscape is beautiful, and I like that my city (Adelaide) isn't overcrowded, nor over polluted and has lots of nature in it. That said, Adelaide is a damn boring place :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. There just really isn't that much for young people to do, apart from going to the cinemas (although we generally get movies a few months after America) and shopping (even though the shopping in Melbourne is so much better that Adelaideans actually fly to Melbourne to shop there)

But even though I just had a little rant there, I love it here, because it's so peaceful and quiet. I mean it's quite rare for us to hear about major crimes (like, they go on, but not as often in many other places), I'm not afraid in any capacity to ride public transport, and not afraid of being mugged/pickpocketed (which is nice :slight_smile:) and my family are all here.

Funnily enough, despite me loving this place so much, my plan is definately to move to another country, most likely Canada or England. I'm definately going to Toronto in a couple of years, so perhaps if I like it enough over there, I'll just stay :grin:

10. s5m1

I love this country. It is not perfect and has a long way to go in many ways, but I would never give up the freedoms we have.

11. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I like the country I'm in. I am fine living here but if I am able to move to Canada I probably will

12. myra

I couldn't imagine living anywhere other than the united states. I'm not saying its great though. The people can be too stuck up and self centered. But that could just be human nature...not due to the country. I think America has issues, but like someone stated before, they aren't as bad as other countries' problems.

13. SamAlex728

i hate it at the moment

14. jony8472

Australia?
    Well... I love Australia, but of course I would LOVVE to live in Germany:icon_bigg
    There are a million things to love about Australia... and a million things to hate...
    I would really like to meet someone who loves EVERYTHING about where they live=P:slight_smile:

15. berileos

berileos Guest

You're all lucky you don't live in Serbia!
    The only good thing is that the people are nice(but not in bigger cities).
    There are political problems every day and people are really poor.
    Crimes happen all the time,you can be killed and you won't even know it.
    I'd like to live in Germany or Sweden,maybe after college.

16. Zak

Zak

When i turn 18 im movimg to the UK....especially if McCain becomes Prez. UK rules, USSA is ok, but it has many flaws.

17. TriBi

I have now lived in Australia for a looong time (but I actually wasn't born here (shhhh!)

I am (and have been for a long time now) a rabid Aussie. :slight_smile:

At the last count I think I had been to almost 60 countries on our little globe - and (for me) nowhere else compares (or even comes close).

Does that answer your question? :grin:

18. partietraumatic

well i love in england in the uk and i wouldn't want to live anywhere else. i mean there are some bad things (the aweful weather springs to mind lol) but the positives defs outweigh the negatives. Though i have never been to aus and its meant to be nice so thats one place id love to visit...but as for living-uk all the way!!!!

19. Jebs

I love the US. The only reason why I would leave is to visit countries or retire to the tropics. If people really think America is bad... then they seriously don't know how good they have it. Maybe you should look into everything before you say you are 'going to jump the border' or something like that.

20. Trumpetplyer23

I like the US. I've been to the UK and Ireland, for an ambassador trip, a few years ago. It's nice there, but I still like the US better, no offence.

I mean, in the US we have freedoms that aren't exactly guaranteed every where else. We can oppose the goverment (at least, before Bush was a moron) in a peaceful way and no one could do anything about it.

I mean, as an American, I have the freedom to be the religion I want to be. And I love it that way. All religions (including Satanism) facinate me beyond belief. I'm Buddhist, but I believe in God and Jesus. It's pretty cool being able to do that. Without getting death threats because I believe in Buddha.

Wherever you live, there are going to be negative things, if we left every country we ever lived in because of something negative, then we'd all live in Antartica. Hey, at least we could chill with the polar bears, lol.