1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adjective to Song

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by kem, Nov 18, 2014.

1. kem

kem

I thought this might be a fun game/time killer. I made a list of adjectives, from A to Z, and I'd like you to ascribe a song to each of them. I scoured the web and tried to pick some interesting words that I wouldn't have thought of myself, but if you can't think of anything that would fit the word, feel free to come up with your own word :slight_smile: I made a pastebin with bold-tags wrapped around the words for convenience's sake. Have fun, and I'm looking forward to interesting music!

Astronomical
    Beautiful
    Cryptic
    Drowsy
    Effervescent
    Fake
    Grand
    Harmonious
    Inspirational
    Jovial
    Kitschy
    Languid
    Minimalist
    Nerdy
    Opaque
    Poignant
    Queer
    Real
    Saccharine
    Tender
    Underrated
    Vibrant
    Warm
    Xilinous
    Youthful
    Zoetic

Xilinous = cotton-like, of or pertaining to cotton.
    Zoetic = vital, living

pastebin

/// Here's mine!

Astronomical
    Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part 2 – Flaming Lips
    Beautiful
    Doppelgänger – The Antlers
    Cryptic
    Leave the Engine Room – Everything Everything
    Drowsy
    Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid) – Sufjan Stevens
    Effervescent
    Genesis – Grimes
    Fake
    Like a Virgin – Madonna (I do love the song though)
    Grand
    BaBopBeyYa – Janelle Monáe
    Harmonious
    All Is Full of Love – Björk
    Inspirational
    Daredevil – Fiona Apple
    Jovial
    Happy – Pharrel Williams
    Kitschy
    Baby – Justin Bieber (It's catchy, but I think the song embodies kitsch)
    Languid
    Werewolf (on the hood of yer heartbreak) – Man Man
    Minimalist
    Neglected Space – Imogen Heap
    Nerdy
    Kemosabe – Everything Everything
    Opaque
    Your Lips Are Red – St. Vincent
    Poignant
    No Sense – Cat Power
    Queer
    The March of the Gay Parade – of Montreal
    Real
    Back to Black – Amy Winehouse
    Saccharine
    Lollipop – Mika
    Tender
    Two Doves – Dirty Projectors
    Underrated
    In Case We Die (Parts 1–4) – Architecture in Helsinki
    Vibrant
    Darling Nikki – Purple Rain
    Warm
    Walk in the Park – Beach House
    Xilinous
    Eight Line Poem – David Bowie
    Youthful
    I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor – Arctic Monkeys
    Zoetic
    It's Oh So Quiet – Björk

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Awesome idea for a thread. Gonna take my time with this

Astronomical - Day One Dark ~ Interstellar OST (Hans Zimmer) Instantly came to mind, because I can't think of any better word to describe this piece. I hear this, and I feel as if I'm staring directly into the infinity of outer space, or the crushing depths of a black hole. Honestly the power in the soundtrack of this movie is on a different scale than anything I've seen before.

Beautiful - Kalafina ~ To The Beginning This one was tough for me since my definition of beauty is so broad. I narrowed it down to Kalafina though, as piano, guitar and violins tend to epitomize my ideals of beauty, and of course they sing in Japanese, which I've always found to be one of the most beautiful languages. To top it off, her voice is just fantastic and heavenly, plus the song accompanies a favorite anime of mine~

Cryptic - Burial ~ Loner Pretty straightforward. Not alot of my music really fits 'cryptic,' at least that I can think of, so I just went for something ambiguous, a bit mysterious, with some distorted vocals and electronic sounds. Honestly this song comes off as more sinister than it does cryptic.. but I like it here all the same

Drowsy - Wilco ~ How to Fight Loneliness Since drowsiness and melancholy usually go hand and hand for me, and songs like this are what I like to listen to when I'm trying to sleep ^^

Effervescent - Foster The People ~ Houdini
    Cause this song is just, alive and crackling with energy I guess~ It reminds me of my friend's kitten, who coincidentally was called Houdini as well. This song never failed to pick me up and put me in a good mood, until he was hit and killed by a car around age 2 or so ;-;

Fake - Tough, since I intentionally avoid music that fits this category IMO. Probably something by one direction, justin bieber, or someone along those lines, where the appeal is mostly physical rather than emotional.

Grand - Queen ~ Bohemian Rhapsody Simply put this song is just a masterpiece. I linked to a live performance, which is probably the only thing that's even more powerful than the studio version.

Harmonious - Oh boy now we're getting technical. Agh damnit this could be anything XD I'll go with Gorillaz ~ Hong Kong though. I really love the contrast you get with the chinese harp and guitar in particular.

Inspirational - Definitely quite a few I could use here. For me this is just about any song that hits me hard, gets me fired up and leaves a pretty deep impact. Nightwish ~ Storytime is as fine an example as any~

Jovial - of Montreal ~ Suffer For Fashion Probably the most upbeat and cheery song I have ^_^ at least in terms of the music.. xD

Kitschy - I dunnoo, Miley Cyrus ~ Wrecking Ball perhaps? Despite the bad rap it's got I actually enjoy this song.

Languid - Linkin Park ~ Blackbirds At my lowest, most exhaustive points this song fits me frighteningly well.

minimalist I dunno about minimalism tbh but as far as weird avant garde stuff I think Radiohead - Idioteque hits the spot~

Nerdy - Doesn't get alot more nerdy than Powerglove, as much as I hate that word and love this band. <3

Opaque, Like, hard to see through? Not sure why, but this song comes to mind - Linkin Park ~ In Pieces

Poignant Regina Spektor ~ Hero A friend linked this to me recently, and I haven't been able to stop listening to it since.

Queer - Scissor Sisters ~ I Can't Decide This song is just magical and wonderful and gay xD

Real - Cowboy Bebop OST ~ Space Lion
    Because some of the realist Music I've ever heard in my life, is background music from anime series.

Saccharine - Kiss ~ I Want You is my idea of sweet anyway :wink:

Tender - Morrissey ~ Jack The Ripper yeah the most gentle and comforting song I have is about a serial killer. There's something about this song that's just captivating to me. I love how the slightest bit of context makes the seemingly romantic lyrics instantly feel hollow and creepy..

Underrated - Cunninlynguists ft. Tonedeff ~ Love Aint
    Probably my favorites as far as underground hip hop. Not that I really know alot about the genre, but there's something about the way these guys rhyme and flow that really stands out to me. No one else I know has ever heard of them.

Vibrant - AFI - totalimmortal This song is passion, rage, chaos incarnate. I fucking love this band and everything they've done

Warm - The Neighborhood ~ Sweater Weather The irony continues loll

Xilinous - Cottonlike? Uhhh Orbital ~ Halcyon on and on

Zoetic - ..but home is nowhere ~ AFI because it describes my life
    lar

3. LunaticSoul

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Astronomical
    Deep Purple - Child in Time - Goosebumps all through the song..

Beautiful
    There are so many songs that I find beautiful but I'll settle for two - Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (Pulse) & The Gathering - Sand & Mercury

Cryptic
    Massive Attack - Angel I always found MA's music to be quite mysterious and dark.

Drowsy
    Radiohead - Reckoner Don't get me wrong I love this song but it always puts me in mellow mood

Effervescent
    Yello - The Race & Katrina & The Waves - Walking on Sunshine I always found these two songs very upbeat and kind of bubbly

Fake
    The Engine Room - A Perfect Lie Because it was featured in Nip/Tuck series that deals with plastic surgeries.
    and also this song Foo Fighters - The Pretender

Grand
    Clint Mansell - Death Is The Road To Awe Waiting for that one moment at 7:25 is totally worth it.

Harmonious
    I'll go with Other Lives - As I Lay My Head Down

Inspirational
    This song along with the music video - Tool - Right In Two

Jovial
    Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out I don't know but I've always found Franz Ferdinand quite optimistic :icon_bigg

Kitschy
    IAMX - Nature of Inviting don't know exactly why but it just came to my mind

Languid
    Brendan Perry - The Captive Heart - He pours his soul into this song...mesmerising.

Minimalist
    Ludovico Einaudi - Lady Labirynth - neo-classical, a piano piece which I thought is quite minimalistic.

Nerdy
    Eluveitie - Inis Mona Folk songs played in metal style and sung in English & Gaulish. Plus their name comes from the inscription in Etruscan letters. Doesn't get any better than this :lol:

Opaque
    Katatonia - Inside The City Of Glass the titles says it all.

Poignant
    Sigur Rós - Flugufrelsarinn
    I don't understand a thing of what the song is about but it always makes me so emotional...

Queer
    The Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You I dunno why, it just kind of popped into my head

Real
    Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart because it happens in real life.

Saccharine
    Björk - I Miss You because Björk is sweet and cute :icon_bigg

Tender
    Anathema - Are You There? The song is so delicate, from the beginning till the end. I also find the vocals quite subtle.

Underrated
    Riverside - Escalator Shrine It's such a meaningful song, it always makes me think about how we live our lives today, how people become desensitised, or how some get sucked into the world of materialistic needs rather than emotional ones...

Vibrant
    Nine Inch Nails - Just Like You Imagined oh, the amount of sounds that are scattered around in this piece is amazing!

Warm
    The Knife - Pass This On
    It's those Caribbean sounds!

Xilinous
    Lunatic Soul - Suspended In Whitness Well, cotton is white..and there's child's voice too so it kind of reminds me of washing, the smell of washing powder..and clothes are made out of cotton...yep, that's it.

Youthful
    Florence + The Machine - Only If For A Night She's singing about her teacher (at least I think so..) so it reminds of schools and being young

Zoetic
    Gazpacho - Tick Tock (Part III) because I'm just "lucky to be alive"