1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today I Learned...

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Rawrzilla, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Stealing the whole concept of the sudreddit with the same name (r/todayilearned), let's see if this catches up. It's pretty self-explanatory, just post something new you learned today. In my case:

Today I leaned about final cut privilege which is a film industry term, used when a director has contractual authority over how a film is ultimately released to the public. The "how" there doesn't refer to the means by which you will see the film, but rather in which state (content-wise) will the film arrive to theaters. As some of you may already know, a lot of content is left in the editing room and never actually makes it to the final cut (*wink wink*) of the film; if a director has final cut privilege he or she gets to decide what gets left behind and what stays on the film, instead of the studios who are usually the ones calling those shots (driven primarily by commercial purposes, of course). This is why sometimes you will see films re-released in "Director's Cut" format, which means that is the director-approved edit of the film (usually with added scenes since most studios tend to shorten movies).

I kinda intuited all of this but is good to have a more formal knowledge of it.

Oh also today I learned actress Kathryn Beaumont, voice of Alice in Alice in Wonderland at age 13, reprised her role for Kingdom Hearts at age 67. Now I would love to hear both versions of Alice back to back to compare.

Your turn maybe? What did you learn today?

2. RadioRoss

Today I learned how to change guitar strings on an electric guitar. Heavier strings allow for a better sounding tone, and although it does make it a bit harder to press my fingers down and you have to strum harder to get a louder noise, it's something that i can easily get used to, and it basically just makes the guitar sound better. It was super easy to do....You take the old strings off by twisting the tuners, pull the string off of the tuning peg, and pull it out of the bridge. Then, you take your new strings, (I started off with the lowest, or the E string) pull 'em through the bridge, stick the string into the tuning peg, and twist it tight until the string fits into the nut. Then you tune the guitar, and rock out ^__^
    Thanks for starting this thread...I was actually thinking of making a thread with a similar idea.

3. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Yaaay, one supporter for knowledge :grin:. This way we can memorize better the things we learn by typing them out and we learn new stuff from each other (I didn't know that heavier guitar strings allowed better sounding tones, for instance).

4. shinji

shinji Guest

Lesson:
    Today i learned the extent of one of my friend's psyche. Well, not the full extent, but i got a pretty good "look". Also, this somehow allowed me to further understand how exactly my "ex" "boyfriend"'s mind used to work. Which was a happy coincidence, as their way of thinking was similar on several levels.

Explanation:
    Basically, you analyze a person, get an idea of how they think and proceed to compare them to people you've already got a good understanding for. It's true that people are unique, but on the basic level, they are not. You can easily put them into different categories and compare them to the person you are observing right now.

Looking at habits, ideas, hobbies, and even small things, like the way they talk and the way they react to a certain situation. It's important to understand, on which aspects of their personality you can allow yourself to "assume", and on which, you should gather more information before making what essentially is an informed guess.

Example:
    I know this person who actively avoids confrontation and always tries to act as a mediator when in the role of an observer to an argument between mutual friends. Said person has troubles talking about themselves, and mostly avoids getting into discussions that relate to deeper topics, where their opinion will actually have an impact on the conversation. They are passive in this way, that they just agree with everything.

Obviously, the person above, is someone who has gone through some personal emotional drama, is not confident in themselves and tries their best to block out the reality of their life. Living in a lie, trying to close their eyes to everything, but the happy moments, they cling to them, they feed off of them, and ignore everything else. This person is living a life in which, hiding and lying, fooling themselves into thinking their life is good.

Example: Conclusion
    The conclusion we take from this example is that the person above is quite unpredictable and unstable. They are someone who can "crash" at any given time, and while their ability to simply "ignore" the pain, is quite good. There will come a time when they won't be able to cope and things will end badly. Logical thing to do is, to distance yourself from said person, as realistically, you can't help them, since they themselves don't "see" a problem.

Final thoughts:
    It doesn't matter if you're 100% sure of what your "analysis" shows. As long as you have a baseline to work with, even a 50/50 chance is still enough to help you understand and "handle" people accordingly.

5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What I learned today: I learned where my city's library is, which is exciting. I also learned about an area downtown that's been around since the Edo Period. This area has a type of famous scenery featured in many "waka" poems, that is, clay warehouses next to a river and bridge with a weeping willow. When we were in this area I also learned about a local kitchen god, about the damage my city suffered in the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake, some local food specialities, and some performance venues for Japanese traditional comedy shows!

It was a good day.

6. HageshiLikesAnime

Today I learnd that I am pethetic and that I should go die becase the world would be a better place with out me... Oh wait I all ready knew that),;

7. RadioRoss

What makes you think that? I highly doubt it....I know where you're coming from, i really do, and what you need to realize is not just that you are in fact worth it, but you also need to go and get help, whatever form that takes. Get rid of any shitty people in your life and find great people. Find something productive to do that you love, and that is important to your future, or just for that day/week/month etc. I'm not saying its easy to do this kind of thing, but pushing through it will be worth it. People care, the people on EC care, i care.

8. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Today I learned about the Fermi Paradox which basically points out the contradiction between the supposed high probability of existence of extraterrestrial civilizations and our lack of contact (and/or evidence) with them. I only touched the surface of it because I'm afraid it would melt my brain if I tried to take it all in at once but it is a very interesting and essential subject for those of us curious about everything outside the thermosphere.

9. DinelodiiGitli

Today I learned that some people just never learn or perhaps just refuse to and continue making the same mistakes until you actually feel bad for them.

10. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

Today I learned about the exo planet kepler 186f that's 500 light years from Earth and is orbiting a red dwarf, kepler 186, and is 11% larger than Earth.

11. IrishEyes1989

Today I learned that a "dumbwaiter" is an old style freight elevator used to transport items - but not people - between floors of buildings. I saw a local amateur production of Harold Pinter's play The Dumbwaiter this afternoon with my boyfriend and the definition of the word was in the programme.

12. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

AHAHAHAHHAHAHA Today I learned that there's a kitchen chair floating in space. It's referred to as "Escape Vehicle No. 6" by astronauts.

[​IMG]

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't learn anything today. I'm slow...

14. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yesterday, I learned that some necrophiliacs actually enjoy literal skullf**king. I previously believed this was only some guro thing. Oh, well, I've heard of stranger stuff.

Today, I've learned that I want to spend the next half hour reading that reddit.

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Today I learned that the people who made Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix the Movie shot about 5 minutes of footage of Trelawny Eating while Umbridge gives a speech off screen. WHY, exactly this is something that exists is a question for another day

16. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Today I learned how to prepare Shawarma...

17. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Is it any good? Like, the Shawarma itself, is it good?

I was surprised to learn (Ha! Topic appropriate) that there are quite a few Shawarma joints locally. I thought something like that would be too niche for where I live but I guess you don't get to be niche when RDJ promotes you on the motherfucking Avengers. ANYWAY I wanna try it because Tony said so but with a name like that I don't know what to expect. So what do you say? Do you endorse it?

18. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Cool, now I can send someone to the Escape Vehicle No. 6 instead of hell :icon_bigg
    Looks also like a Pink Floyd album cover.

19. Hiems

Today, I learned that hyperacute cases of bacterial conjunctivitis look so gross. If you're easily squeamish, don't Google for it haha.

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today I learnt about the amazingly resilient immune system and stomach of vultures and the hideously large number of ordinarily lethal parasites they happily consume.

(I have no idea why The Economist decided to run that article, but it was fascinating if rather disgusting)