1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many of your grandparents are still alive?

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Andrew99, Jan 10, 2015.

?

How many of your grandparents are alive?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2015.
  1. None

21.6%
  2. 1

23.5%
  3. 2

19.6%
  4. 3

23.5%
  5. All

11.8%
  1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have three that are still alive, but they are all on my dad's side of the family. His family is divorced. I did have 4 on that side, but one died a few years ago.

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All of them, fortunately. I feel incredibly lucky to have had all four in my life for so long; I know a lot of people don't have that luxury.

4. Burnedcloset

Grandma on dad's side and grandpa on moms side.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya my dads parents are alive but my moms aren't. My maternal grandmother died in 2000 so I was a baby. My maternal grandfather died when I was about 6. Also my great grandmother (grandma's mom) died in 2008 she outlived my grandma and my grandpa. Also my other paternal grandfathers mom died from natural causes in 2006 she was 102. My paternal grandmothers mom died in 2002 she was in her 80s and had Alzheimer's. as for my great grandfathers my paternal grandmothers dad died when my dad was 2. And then my paternal grandfathers dad died in the late 50s. As for my moms side all my great grandfathers died in the 1990s so before I was born.

6. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being adopted by older parents my grandparents are all dead. My mothers father was first to go in 1970 at the age of 59 (I was born in 87). My fathers father was next to go in 1992 at the age of 76. My mothers mother was next in 1995 at the age of 74. My fathers mother was the last to go in 1997 at the age of 79. I was only 9 when she passed.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh ya that's right if I remember correctly your mom was 40 and your dad was 44 when they adopted u.

8. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Grandpa on my dads side and my grandma on my moms side. But…why is this in gun and games? :lol:

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To my knowledge, three but I could be wrong.

10. Candace

Fortunately, four as of now. I hate to think that in a few years it won't be the case anymore :frowning2:.

11. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Only my Nana is left! But she's an immortal goddess and will never, ever die. #DenialisBliss

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    None--I only ever actually knew my grandfathers, my grandmothers were both gone by the time I was two. One of my grandfathers died when I was about five but I do remember him. My surviving grandfather remarried--a lovely woman who I think of as grandmother. All gone now though...

13. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom's parents were divorced, so I have five grandparents. My mom's step-dad and my dad's mom are the only ones left. My dad's mom is on the brink. She had been so depressed ever since her husband died (before I could properly meet him); my mom told me that I brought about ten years of happiness to her before I entered adolescence, in which she started to fall back into her depression. I hate seeing her suffer.

My mom's step-dad, however, is healthy as ever (having been sober for quite a long time) and fairly happy, I think.

I've never met the other three grandparents. So I'm always in disbelief when I hear others my age talking about their great-grandparents, none of whom I met or even really know about.

#13 Tai, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  14. Quiet Raven

My father's mother is all that is left.

15. Hiems

None of them from either side of the family.

My mom once told me stories about my paternal grandfather. For instance, after my parents immigrated from Vietnam to the U.S., they would send baby pictures of me and my older brother to him. He told them that he went through the villages, speaking to strangers about how happy he was about having grandchildren. It would have been nice to meet him and my other grandparents too.

I would like to ask my mom about my maternal grandparents, but she becomes very emotional when she starts to talk about them. I would rather not make her feel grief again.

16. Emmanuella

reverse of this, Mom's mum and Dad's dad.

17. Jellal

My dad's mom is all that's left. I know it's hard for him, thinking she could be gone any day. I do my best to emphasize even though empathy isn't my strong suit. I've told him at least that he should be honest about his feelings and talk to me if he needs someone to talk to.

18. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no way of knowing for certain. I have 3 sets of grandparents (father was adopted) but I never really knew any of them.

My maternal grandfather passed when I was about 10, but he lived in France and I never met him in person. If my maternal grandmother is still alive she'll be in her 90s now, but we have no contact details. I know she came to visit us once when I was about 2 but don't remember her.

On my father's side, I know that his adoptive father died at some point when my dad was in teens or 20s. He didn't get along with his adoptive mother and she had no interest in meeting us.

When I was young he traced his birth parents. His birth dad (although there was some uncertainty as to whether or not he was the biological father) he met once, I never did. He was the one who effectively forced his wife to give him up for adoption. His birth mother I do recall meeting. She wasn't that old at the time, but she'd also had a very tough, chaotic life much like everyone on his side so whether or not she'd still be alive I don't know. My dad managed to piss her off enough that she cut off contact with him despite having been initially keen. The last contact we had with her was when my parents were having relationship problems and my mother called her, according to my mum she said at the time that if she wanted to bring me around that was ok, but if my father ever turned up at her house she would 'get her boyfriend to beat him up.' My mum never did take me around there as it seemed like it would cause more trouble than good esp. with everything else that was going on.

So as far as I know; 2 grandfathers are dead, potentially 3 grandmothers and 1 grandfather could still be alive, or not.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only ever known two grandparents - both on my mother's side. The other two are a complete mystery, much like my own father.

My grandfather died 5 years ago, so my grandmother is left, 75, still going strong. :slight_smile: I never knew my grandfather that well so his passing wasn't that upsetting for me, but I know I'll be really upset when my grandmother dies, and I'm unsure how I'll deal with it. Death is something I'm so unfamiliar with - I've never had to deal with grief like that before. Hopefully she has many more years left.

#20 imnotreallysure, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015