1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your OCD?

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by MisterTinkles, Mar 30, 2015.

1. MisterTinkles

To some extent, everyone has some form of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).

That means there is something or some things that you do, that you HAVE to do in order to go on with your day, otherwise you are obsessing about it all day, until you do it or have it done. You cannot go about your day without doing something....

What are YOUR OCD's???

I am organized. I have to be, otherwise I cannot sit still until everything has a place. Things might not look organized in my place, but believe me, they are. A place for everything and everything in its place!!

2. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I must take a shower every morning.
    I keep pacing back and forth when talking to someone on the phone.
    I crumple any piece of paper within my reach only to wonder when the hell I did that.
    I also juggle stuffs whenever I am fantasizing, which is why my mum keeps all her stuffed toys inside a fish bowl so I don't damage them.
    I touch my chin and jawline compulsively.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

OCD is a real mental disorder, and I do not have it. I do however, despise uncleanliness, and therefore constantly wash my hands with anitbacterial soap. That could be mistaken for OCD, but it is not.

4. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    OCD is a spectrum disorder and as a general rule we all lie somewhere on this spectrum. We all have proclivities towards repeating certain tasks, it's human nature. I don't think Mister Sparkles was insinuating that anyone had a mental health disorder.

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

You can't say "we all do".
    Unless you count basic things like eating and sleeping and working.

OCD sufferers do things like check to make sure the door was locked 3 times, or wash their hands an exact number of 15 times.. I don't know about you people, but I don't do that.

6. RainDreamer

I don't think it is respectful to people who actually struggle with OCD to say "we all have OCD" and just talk about people quirk - because that is what we are talking about when we mention how someone like to keep things organize and such. Those things are quirks, not a mental disorder.

There are some interview from people with OCD here and here. Should check that out.

Anyway, my quirk is that I prefer to have an even number of icecubes in my cold drinks. I don't kill people if it is not even, but if I ever put ice to my own drinks, it has to be even. Because I just like it that way.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a bunch of them. In fact, I would have to come up with a long list. I'm sure I qualify for a formal diagnosis to some extent. It has been pointed out to me by therapists that I tend toward this direction. Oh well.

I'm big on the "numbers related" things.

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Agreed with this.

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't have OCD thanks god, what I have is a bad relationship with gas kitchens. I'll just keep checking them, for the 100th time, and their mere presence in the same room makes me nervous.

OCD is no joke, I agree. I've met people who were close to a nervous breakdown 'cause they couldn't help themselves, they just needed to check again and again...

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think this thread is quite tactless. I have OCD, and seeing some people say everyone is on the spectrum is just wrong. Everyone has obsessions, but I have had literal panic attacks and breakdowns...I've destroyed many friendships unintentionally because my mind doesn't stop.

Not to mention that OCD doesn't always equal quirky behaviors! It can be unwanted and inappropriate sexual/religious/violent thoughts that constantly come back.

Please respect mental conditions.

#10 Fallingdown7, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
  11. yoonicorn

Also going to agree with this. I appreciate 'OCD' is now used for something else but continuing to use it incorrectly is, in my opinion, quite disrespectful to the people who have it take over their lives by trivialising it. Sorry to be a party pooper. :frowning2:

12. Foz

Foz Guest

I have a bit of numeric OCD, my climate control has to be at 21.5 degrees in my car, the volume of anything has to go up in increments of 5, my model airplanes are organised in year of manufacture and all 316 of my bluray films are in alphabetical order. It's not like full on OCD that rules my life, it's just little things that make me happy :slight_smile:

13. timo

No OCD but little quirks:

My cd- and vinyl collection is organised in alphabetical order, except when I have multiple albums from the same artist. In that case, they're organised in chronological order. And I will hate someone if they put a record back in the wrong place.

My iTunes is even worse. It's neatly organised where every song has the correct tags (artist, song title, album title) and album cover. I always have a bit of an internal breakdown when I meet someone with a fucked up music library.

When I'm drinking from a bottle or glass with a label on it, I usually have the label faced towards me.

I also like stacking and placing things in geometrical shapes.

14. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not saying that extreme OCD isn't a difficult disorder to manage but OCD is a spectrum disorder wherein some people have it a lot worse than others. We all have compulsions and idiosyncrasies and it doesn't detract away from what they experience by mentioning what degree of the spectrum you feel your behaviour is.

15. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Debates in Fun and Games thread, seriously?

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sometimes like to count my footsteps. Also I must keep both my feet on one tile and if I don't do something in a certain amount of time then something bad will happen.

17. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Just by using the word "disorder", it should become obvious that not everyone has it.

18. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Everyone does not have full blown obsessive compulsive disorder. We all display obsessive and compulsive traits. That is what is meant by being on the spectrum of compulsive behaviours with OCD being at one extreme end of the spectrum.

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Wait, so I guess since everyone has mood swings that means we all are on the spectrum of bipolar disorder as well?

Or since everyone imagines voices sometimes we all are on the spectrum of having schizophrenia...

Everyone gets sad so I guess we all are on the spectrum of clinical depression too.

Everyone gets socially awkward and obsessive at times, so everyone has autism...etc.

20. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No because those mental health issues are not classed as spectrum disorders whereas OC behaviours are. Your argument is reductio ad absurdum and is not helpful.