1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recently discovered The Big Bang Theory

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Kodo, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a bit of a nerd. Well, make that a total nerd. And I just "discovered" The Big Bang Theory playing on TV. It's exactly my type of humor and I'm loving it. Thing is, I don't know where/how to find more episodes so I can start from the beginning? I checked Netflix and Hulu to no avail. Anyone know where to find them in good quality?

Also, are there any other fans of the show?

**OOPS. This was meant to go into the Entertainment thread. I do not know how to move it. Sorry!**

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love TBBT!! :grin:
    I don't know where on TV you can watch them from the beginning unless you buy the DVD... :confused:

3. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you get TBS? I'm pretty sure they show TBBT at least 4 times a day in a big block., and they're all the early syndicated episodes.

IMO the early seasons had some of the best episodes, especially episodes when Sheldon and Penny were forced to do things or to cooperate. They did NOT like each other in the early seasons and it was hilarious. There's an episode when Penny breaks her arm and Sheldon has to take her to the hospital...it's probably my favorite TBBT episode ever :slight_smile:

4. tscott

Love TBBT. Love that actual physicists have cameos. Yes, the episode when Penny falls in the bath is one of the best episodes.

5. BelleFromHell

I didn't have tv for awhile, and I'm not a big tv watcher (much prefer watching shows on the internet), but I love TBBT! I haven't seen any of the newer episodes and I need to catch up.

My favorite character is probably Raj since he is the one I most relate to (his loneliness and inability to talk to women, though I think he eventually fixed the latter). Still, my dad swore up and down that I'm just like Sheldon and Amy (smartasses), and they're also favorites of mine. I loved the episodes where George Takei and Neil degrasse Tyson made cameos.

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2015 at 04:42 PM ----------

I loved that one! I remember TBS played that episode a hundred times, but I didn't mind.

l also liked the one where Sheldon plays in the ball pit; I remember he was trying to solve a physics problem and went nuts.

6. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friends showed me a few episodes when it first came out. As someone who falls under the stereotype of "geek", I always found the over-exaggerations of these characters to be... underwhelming. I think the show had a lot of potential, but is marketed at the wrong audience. :3 There are some clever jokes, but that's not enough for me to overlook all the lazy character writing. I think it's a fine show if you want to laugh at silly antics of stereotypes, but otherwise, it's just your standard popular comedy. It might have changed since the episodes I saw, but from what I heard, they jumped the shark pretty early on.

I strongly recommend The Guild if you're looking for a similar concept of a show. It has Batman's gold seal of approval. It certainly didn't have the budget TBBT has, but it has well-written and relatable characters, with very well-incorporated humour. And Felicia Day <3

#6 Batman, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  7. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe you should give it another chance...it's a show that loves geeks, and laughs with them, not at them. Well, maybe we all laugh at Sheldon, but that's because he's Sheldon. :dry:

IMO there's some exaggeration like with all TV characters, but I've known people in real life who are like Amy, Wolowitz, Raj, etc. That's part of what makes it fun.

8. ouji

ouji Guest

I love The Big Bang Theory. My dad actually started watching it when it first came on and suggested it to me saying it was a really good show. I checked it out, and he was right.

9. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's gone downhill in quality but I still love it!

10. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This last season was better than the one before it, the one before it was very lost....

One of my favorite moments was season 2 when Penny and Leonard played the drinking game and made out. lol

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I liked the early seasons but I find the entire thing repetitive and annoying now. Seems like they're trying too hard - and I don't like the more recent additions.

12. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah. I'm just sick to death of Leonard and Penny's drama, and Raj's never-ending girl troubles. And I miss the guys just hanging out together, talking about movies, shows, and comics. Now it's all about their relationships.

#12 XenaxGabby, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  13. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't miss that, all shows have to evolve. The Leonard Penny drama isn't appealing at all. But I don't mind Raj making a mess of his relationships because that's just him.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I never liked this show, and mostly for the reasons imnotreallysure said.

*Pitchforked and torched out of town!*

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they removed Bernadette from the show, that alone might be enough to make me watch it again - I find her character insufferable. So exaggerated. She goes from this sweet-natured, ditzy blonde girl who doesn't get sarcasm, to this mean-spirited, angry, pint-sized irritant who apparently scares everyone despite being 6 inches tall.

#15 imnotreallysure, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  16. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

That is exactly how I feel about her too.

17. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to say I somewhat agree with you and imnotreallysure on this. We have this channel called E4 over here that is always playing episodes, and one day my mother who doesn't really watch tv asked: "What is this The Big Bang Theory? It's always on." and my response was: "It's this show that's trying to be a geek-comedy by throwing in loads of references, but isn't very funny."

That said, I did discover after a while that many of the scenes with Sheldon in are actually enjoyable, the reason being Jim Parsons' performance. I haven't seen anything else with him in, but based on TBBT he seems like a skilled actor for comedy. He uses a lot of little details, like tone of voice or expressions and body language, that make the character watchable.

18. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ Jim totally "makes" the show, in my opinion!

19. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not going to link you to anything illegal but i'll give you a hint :slight_smile:

2 words
    1. a snack that you buy at the movies. It's really expensive and is made of corn
    2. Hey do you know what ____ it is? Sure it's 12 AM