1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today's Word of the Day is quietly judging you

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by wisefolly, Jul 7, 2015.

1. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

The Word of the Day (from Merriam-Webster) is your chance to boost the power of your brain! The daily challenge is to write a sentence or two/poem/haiku or ongoing serial (like one brave soul--woo!) in order to reinforce the learnin'---I've learned a ton so far just writing sentences, and a tonne reading sentences others have written!*

Today's word is...wait for it....hoosegow!

Bet you didn't see THAT coming.

Read this for the definition and background of hoosegow or listen to this for the auditory equivalent. Hoosegow!

The Man with No Name sat down on the straw filled mattress, looked around the sparse hoosegow, and knew his time here would be short: Tuco would rescue him, not for any sentimental reasons but because he held the other half of the clue to the location of the grave that held not a corpse but a treasure worth finding sooner rather than later.

If my sentence is a cow patty may I be sentenced to the calaboose!

Your turn!

If you accept this challenge: (!!)
    If you ignore this challenge: :dead:
    Do you really want a dead banana on your conscience?

*Explanation for those who may think this spam or telemarketing.

2. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So today's sentence is this:

"You know, the can, the hoosegow, the slammer?"

Neil awoke to the hollow sound of someone banging on a thick piece of metal. He didn't know the time, the place, or anything about where he was. He could barely open his eyes without a blinding headache, having to shut them quickly before managing to see anything of his surroundings.

He groaned loudly, his hand quickly moving to cover his eyes as he let out an agitated sigh. "Where am I?" He asked quietly, having an inkling, but not quite sure.

A man about twenty years Neil's senior and twice as large huffed back. "What, you don't know?" The man asked incredulously and Neil groaned back. The older man huffed again and stopped his banging on the metal bars that surrounded them.

"You're up the river, kid," the man said almost softly, but still gruffly. Neil didn't respond, and the man huffed again. "You know, the can, the hoosegow, the slammer?" The man heard Neil groan and watched him open his eyes. "Good, you're finally up, now I can sit." He shoved Neil off the bench he had previously occupied, Neil falling to the ground and groaning.

"What the hell, man?" Neil growled, getting to his feet and stumbling drunkenly, growling louder at the smirk upon the man's face. "How about I bash that smug look on your face in, you jerk?" He growled, lunging at the man just as a guard came by and called out.

"Sanderson! Come with me!" The guard, who had to be younger than Neil, was calling for him.Neil cringed at the use of his last name, crawling out of the cell as it was opened. "You've been bailed out," the guard said. "We're going to let you off this time. Don't screw it up." Neil nodded as he was ushered out to find out who had bailed him out. God, he hoped it was Janin. He hoped he had called her and proven his loyalty despite not knowing what had happened since leaving Matt's place the night before.

He swallowed as his possessions were returned to him and stepped out to see who else's face but Matt's? Neil groaned at the site of the younger male.

[TBC :slight_smile: ]

3. warthog

my hoosegow brings all the boys to the yard, damn right it's better than yours, damn right, it's better than yours, I can teach you, but I have to ch... no ? *kicks own self out*

4. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

@WalstSandwich<3: Wow, see? You did pull it off. This is getting downright exciting!

@warthog: Points for humor!