1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BigGayAlex's artwork

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by BigGayAlex, Sep 18, 2015.

1. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have used art as an outlet for many years. Two years ago I worked relentlessly (over 100 hours) on one piece and unfortunately, it drained me completely (art-wise) since I completed it. Here it is!

http://i.imgur.com/jP0jNtv.jpg

after being professionally framed/matted:

http://i.imgur.com/zuEhSJO.jpg

I have many more (including my almost syndicated comic), but that will be for another day.

Note: I tried to post images but they were way too big :wink:

2. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gosh! It's soo BEAUTIFUL <3 <3 <3 I have no words... I LOVE IT!!!

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Amazing! I can tell you're very talented and you worked really hard on that, it's beautiful! I love all the colors and the detail you put into it:slight_smile:

4. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Damn, that's impressive! :eek: What medium did you use? It looks like chalk pastels to me.

#4 ThatBorussenGuy, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  5. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you everyone! The medium used were colored pencils. Forgot to mention the title: Euphoria

I eventually would love to get professional prints made and sell them... when that day arrives, I will surely let everyone know! :slight_smile:

#5 BigGayAlex, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  6. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As an art student, I can tell you-it's nice, but some parts nag at me. For one, shadows? I can see variations in tone for the objects itself, but shadows cast as missing. The butterfly in the middle, is that supposed to be the main focus of the picture, or simply another butterfly? The colour blending as compared to the other butterflies is different, which naturally draws the eye to it, but personally, I find it a little irksome as it's too different. The blue flowers-I forgot the name-if they're of the same species and bush, you should have coloured the nectar guides similarly for all the flowers, if not it becomes a little off. There's one that's too strong, and it stands out among the rest of the flowers, making them more muted. If you wanted the attention to be distributed fairly among all of them, the stronger colours prevent that.

This is just my POV. I've been suffering under art for too long. My teacher is very strict when it comes to small details, so I've naturally taken after her in spotting details that irk me. But it is a very nice piece of work, and it'll fetch a good price, I'm sure. I'm amazed at the effort you put in willingly-I did one recently, a much bigger piece for my exam, for an intensive month (it was supposed to be completed over a 7 month period, but most of us crammed it into under a month) and I died. I can add a picture, if you want.

But still, congatz on the work. How big is the piece? Bigger then A2?

7. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really appreciate your feedback! I am glad your art teacher is strict, so was my private art teacher. From the first day she always said: "Draw what you see.". She was very good herself, but seemed to focus on letting us became our own style. I would like to see your piece as well! Below I hope to answer a few questions for you (and others, I imagine):

The overall idea of this piece was to present a bright, light filled natural feeling with no despair or pain (shadows) to be felt after viewing the piece. A feeling of imagination, happiness, hope; thus the name of Euphoria. I feel that too few artists do not utilize a bright color spectrum on a grand, unreal (yet kind of real) scale.

There are a total of 9 different flower species in this piece. The blue flowers were Morning Glories, the flower in the center is from a Butterfly bush, the pinkish flowers on the bottom (center) were from a bulbs I planted in my yard landscapes (name escapes me atm, possibly Mediterranean Bells?). I was lost for a while on what to do with background (besides the main parts) so I decided to go an abstract, scattered view of various flowers/plants. As for the nectar guides, I was aiming for a different color view on them all; since nature is all different, yet similar. Each area of butterflies presents it's own unique atmosphere.

I never really intended the center butterfly to be the main focus; I chose that one as it was the most colorful (and very difficult) one. The top center blue butterfly is actually a blend 5 different blue hues to extract the final color and possibly my overall favorite. The orange butterfly on the left is actually a tiger moth (turn it upside down and you can kinda see tiger eyes and nose). I try to hide (in some way) a heart in every piece over the past few works, everyone try to find it! There was also an unintentional cartoon mime face on one of the butterflies... I was simply following the picture and didn't even notice it until the butterfly was completed! LOL The bottom right butterfly's body (not so much the wings) was extremely difficult, as the picture I had was blurry and had to do what I could to "see" it.

Because I use colored pencils (Prismacolor to be exact :wink: ), I had to use extreme caution and care with every single section, as one slip up would ruin it. I worked on it ONLY on Friday nights, from the beginning of June and finishing on the first Friday of November. Since I consider Fridays "Tears For Fears" Day, I listened to them exclusively while working on it. Also snacking on imported Japanese candy too :slight_smile: . Once the clock striked midnight, artwork would cease until the following Friday. Weird I know, but hey, it's who I am.

In conclusion, I do consider this my most time consuming piece that I will never sell. As mentioned previously, I do plan to get professional prints made to sell, as many people ask for them after seeing the original. I treat this work as my own child, nurtured by love and patience. Euphoria was totally worth every second.

8. melissakok

Thats amazing. Im an artist too and has been a wonderful outlet for me as well. Thank HP for self expression. I dont think I would've survived without it crazy but true. Anyway I love your color varieties and your amazing details. Great feedback so far. Ill have to look for the heart now. Also for me now art is more about the process and symbolism and spirituality. Have you seen Chagall? Dreamlike, memories and bright colors. Amazing. I need to do it more. Feel like doing a new piece for this girl I really like. Very excited to do more art, always feeds my soul. Thank you for sharing. (*hug*)

9. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Glad you like it, melissakok!

I forgot to mention the size in my previous post: preframe; 14 in X 17 in

10. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very nice piece of art, and lovely coloring, though I'm not entirely sure where the focus is supposed to be. My eye is naturally drawn to the left, where the outlining is darkest, but the middle butterfly has the most unique pattern. Also, as LogicNoSense pointed out, no shadows. I guess these two things bug me slightly, but they're minor details. I like the colors and blending though. I myself love using colored pencils. Keep up the great work! :grin:

11. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're lucky to get such a teacher! Mine has been with me for 4 years now, ever since I started this level of schooling. Due to our school restrictions, she does make us avoid drawing anything too cartoon-ish, and she is very strict with all our work. Sadly since most of my classmates (including myself, until about June and went to school every day and saw her face every time) have given up on art, she's extra strict with those who do continue. She isn't what I call finished with us-she does push us, in a way-it's just that most classmates hate her. She's actually amazingly lenient when it comes to it, though. = = I would honestly love to show you the artwork, but due to copyright and stuff (since it's for the national exams) I'm not allowed to distribute it until around Dec? Since that's when the examiners get our papers. I'll PM you instead, if you're still interested then?

Hmm, as to why there's no shadows, it does make sense. However, I suppose being so used to seeing shadows, I'm more or less used to seeing shadows. Although instead of having no shadows at all, I would go for more subtle ones, where the colours slowly fade away, so there are shadows, just very lightly. But having no shadows does give it a sense of fantasy, once explained.

There really is a large combination of flowers. I would really have only used a maximum of three, really. I'm not good in drawing naturally made objects, see. My strength, I feel, lies in man-made objects. Shadows are my forte, I suppose? I find them much easier. However, I do find some flowers to be too similar in coloring, and because only a small part can be seems, it looks lighter than the original, to me. Though the butterflies were truly a work of art. They look amazing, really.

I think I prefer the bottom right one-the one which wings are extended. The color blending is really well done; looks really realistic. But overall, all look beautiful. It's hard to imagine this work in anything put color pencil really. I use Faber Castell-that's probably one of the best types one can get their hands on in Singapore. Well, at least without going crazily out of budget, especially for students. ($20 for 48 was expensive, and what we all had.) I've heard Prismacolor is a good brand, though. Even better then Faber Castell. Ahh, it would be amazing if we only had to work on our art every Friday. Our teacher would have had our heads, though. How was the candy, btw? XD

The work will sell very well. You should sign it somewhere, or as you said, locate the heart you hid in the picture. It'll be some sort of a watermark, which indicates you as it's rightful owner. (As authors we're never really able to do that, so I've always wanted to try it XD)

#11 LogicNoSense, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015