1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all writers and lovers of writing!

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by ConnectedToWall, Jan 17, 2016.

1. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, so I realize that I have a lot of trouble staying focused when it comes to writing. There are just so many distractions that keep me from writing as much as I wish that I did. Even write now, I feel like I should be working on my story instead of writing this. So I was interested to know if anyone had any advice on how to keep going. Here, you can post your own advice, or inspirational quotes, images, and gifs to keep us all stay more focused on writing!

2. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
  4. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (I find the other thread too long. Too many things to pick through.)

What I like to do when I finally get the urge to write: kick everyone out from the room, shut the door, don't play music, and get your ass down at the computer to WRITE. Force yourself to, for as long as you can. Usually falls through cuz it's noisy for me. :frowning2:

5. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Posted this in the other thread, but screw it.

I would first off recommend starting another project immediately. Focusing on one project alone can exhaust your brain, and make you hate what you're working on.

At all times, I attempt to have at least three projects going at once. One that I'm passionate about, and really want to get done.

One for when I need a break from that one, give my brain a chance to refresh.

And a third to distract me from my distraction.

And then the cycle begins anew! Something else you might want to try is shutting off your phone, and getting it away from you. Same goes for internet. Just turn off the wifi on your computer and forget it exists. It helps me quite a bit when I can't focus on anything.

6. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But Doug, I have like, at least 5, and I can never concentrate. Help? XD

7. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, this is a slightly new topic. How do you know if the quality of your work is improving or actually getting worse overtime? Do you think it's possible to get worse? Sometimes I read things from three years back and I think, wow, that sounds kinda cool, but the style I wrote it in is so different from the style I use now and I feel like I can't replicate it anymore. Thoughts?

8. Funn

Funn Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess, since the point of writing is to inspire something (imagination, learning, motivation), then the quality of your writing should be judged based on how well it does that job. I would say, let others read your work and get their opinions. Be open to constructive criticism.

Most importantly though, do you still love writing? Yes? Then keep it up! <3

9. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How I keep going (and I know this will sound stupid) is by not forcing myself to write. If I don't really want to write, I won't. I just wait until I do. It never tends to be a very long wait. That way I can't lose interest by overdoing anything.

When I do sit down to write, I put on some music to drown out anything going on around me; preferably music without words. Classical works best for me, personally, but whatever works for you.

And I don't talk to anyone. If I'm writing, that's the only thing I'm using words for.

Also, since he already suggested it and I would recommend it myself:

10. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's your favorite number? Close your eyes, and spin around X times. When you open your eyes, the first thing you see will be your writing prompt. You can make it short or long, just have it spark some form of idea.

Another good prompt game is asking a friend for an assortment of words, that you then have to use.

Another thing to remember is passion. Find something that makes you really emotional or mad. Something that makes you say. "Okay listen up, I've got something to say about this!" Then rant. Ranting is energy juice. The best part is, this kind of motivation is wonderful for boring school projects, if you know how to manipulate topics to your interest. Remember. What you're writing about affects YOU. It's not just somewhere up in space, it is real and it is alive, and what you have to say is important, even if it's ranting.

It also helps to daydream before you start writing, so then you can have something to go off of.

11. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ugh. I'm on chapter 14 of my 20 chapter novel. I've been working on it for two years. I'm really close to finishing it but am having trouble finding the self-control to.

12. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel you. I have been working on mine for almost a year except I'm nowhere really. I've gotten the first part locked down but what comes after is just "I need to piece it together better" type deal. Plus, I keep putting it off and I need to quit doing that.

#12 Blood Elf, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  13. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, procrastination is the hardest thing for me to beat right now. Especially with school starting up soon...