1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mythology Roleplay

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by larkcarmen, Jul 10, 2016.

1. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Choose a creature or god from any mythology you like! The setting is an Earth-like "planet" in the heavens.

Name: Akna
    Species: Fairy
    Talent: Illusions
    Personality: Manipulative, serious, a natural leader (though she prefers dictatorship over democracy)

2. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Name: Huild
    Species: True blood gnome
    Talent: Trickery
    Personality: Explosive outcast, rebel whilst being an anti-hero; Cares about no one mentality. Who as they say "Will borrow a coin to pay for the coin he just borrowed"

3. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Name: Nico
    Species:Elf (Picture the Quendi from Lord of the Rings or High Elves from Skyrim haha)
    Talent: Stealth
    Personality: Brooding mien, pensive and analytical, prefers solitude, lone wolf yet not completely apathetic

(Figured this could use a bump. Anyone interested?)

6. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Name: Blair
    Species: Lower class demon
    Talent: Weaponry, especially blades
    Personality: Psychopathic, not the best team leader, tends to threaten rather then discuss.

(Hopefully this can start soon?)

7. Doughmaster

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Name:Gary
    Species:Gnome
    Talent:Being a Gnome
    Personality: Depressed(think of the robot from Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy)

#7 Doughmaster, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  8. Oh, I somehow missed the last two posts on this thread! Welcome, LogicNoSense and Doughmaster! Do you both want to actually start a roleplay going? Haha

9. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hia Ambivalence, er, if we could start the RP that'd be good? Also, just call me Logic :grin:

10. I seem to have a knack for missing posts on thread that I'm actually interested in. Haha. Okay, enough delay! Let's get this started, Logic, then more people can join in if there's interest! :slight_smile:

11. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aye, will do. Hopefully someone finds this interesting, too!

Hidden by dark shadows in a tiny alley, Blair huffed rather loudly, scaring a resident into running away like Cerberus was on their heels. Blair was a demon. Not much of a problem, but they were in heaven. Blair was a demon. In heaven. And they hadn't had much of a choice either, when their master summoned him one day to search for a suitable house in heaven. Rumor was that their master was looking to escape hell to live in heaven (to no surprise, with the humid days and warm nights), but it was still a shock to be sent to heaven.

'Sent', however, was a little too polite. Nay, they'd been thrown into heaven, literally. And now Blair was stuck in a tiny, shadowy alley, looking for a way to move around without being detected. Sure, they were the most inconspicuous demon, with brown wavy shoulder length hair, black eyes (they were such a dull color!) and lightly tanned skin, but they were still a demon. With a tail. That most other residents of heaven, to his limited knowledge, did not possess.

Blair fingered one of their many blades, considering the best way to get into the open without much bloodshed. It wasn't like they could become invisible; magic wasn't their strong suit, nay, weaponry was. So, how were they going to get around it...?

12. Having seen almost all there was to see in the known worlds, Nico was certain that mortal historians had gotten it wrong. The world they'd mistakenly referred to as "paradise" wasn't all that great after all. He supposed it was an excusable mistake to make, especially considering how few of those historians actually did make it to heaven, but nonetheless he pitied the ignorant humans. Sure, the quality of life was arguably better here than in other worlds, but there was still discrimination and disparity even in the land of the divine. As an elf, Nico was fortunate enough to have been spared the worst of the oppression, but the limits of his place here in the heavens was evident in the sideways glances he would get from the pious humans while walking down the street, in the way minor goddesses would curl their lips in contempt when they thought he could not see them.

In fact, Nico had grown to have a soft spot in his heart for the world they called hell. His business with the smugglers' guild often required him to infiltrate the most isolated corners of existence, even as far as the fiery pits of hell itself. The land was forbidding, its residents even more so, but at no point did he ever feel unwelcome. Most people did not acknowledge him at all; the bow and arrows always within reach were usually deterrent enough for those with insidious intent. On the occasions Nico actually did have to resort to violent extremes, such as the time he was challenged by a brutish orc, his ability to meld into the shadows and his calculated ferocity actually evoked respectful nods and "oohs" of admiration from the onlooking crowd.

Of course, that part of his life was in the past. He'd moved on from his association with the guild as much as he could, and was hoping to start afresh in the bustling streets of this divine city. However, while he was no longer working for the smugglers, traveling inconspicuously had become second nature for Nico, and he was still prone to using back alleyways over more public walkways. It was in one such alley where, while hugging the brick wall, he glimpsed a sight he'd never thought he'd see: a demon...in heaven.

#12 Ambivalence0219, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2016
  13. (I think this is shaping up nicely! I'd say we have a good foundation for each character and for this world that we're in. ( : Just to give you a sense of time, Logic, I live in the eastern time zone and will likely make my posts between 5:00 PM and 10:00 PM during the week. If your location is still accurate, we have a 12 hour time difference, so there will likely be a long lapse between each post.)

#13 Ambivalence0219, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2016
  14. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (The lapse between our posts should give others a chance to post, if anyone's interested. My posting times are very erratic, as I'm on holiday right now, but I'll usually be online the entire day. I'll try to check back at least once a day, though, even if I'm out.)

Blair sighed, withdrawing from the corner they were peeking out of to slump against the cold wall. Heaven be damned, this was like earth, for all its' likeness...with the exception of the different species's parading around. All of a sudden, they registered a presence behind them. Out of sheer instinct, he quickly withdrew a throwing knife and flung it behind their back, easily pinning the unknown creature to the brick wall. A few more knives, and a device they'd made themselves- made to trap creatures by circling the neck with spikes, rendering them unable to move- secured even the most well trained creature.

Blair stalked to the creature- which they now realized was an elf- and pressed the device which circled his neck even more into the brick wall. He looked somewhat familiar, as if Blair had seen him around the depths of Hell. As 'guard' demon, they'd traveled far and wide across Hell in order to search for the finest weapons. Their master didn't even need them anyways, with how trained in combat they were, and that mostly left Blair to their own devices. However, Blair only remembered the best fighters, and an elf in Hell...? Where had they seen the elf before...?

Aye, no matter about it. "Why are you here," Blair growled, dark eyes glinting threateningly. Though their master wanted them to maintain a low profile as possible, some blood had to be spilled, as with every other mission. It just depended how much.

(The device Blair is using to circle Nico's neck is like a large, U-shaped prong, where you thrust it into a surface to trap the person's neck. Inside the prong are sharp spikes aiming at your windpipe and arteries, so if the captive moves their neck too much...a painful death.)

15. That the demon had even noticed Nico's presence was an impressive enough feat—after all, Nico had been trained for centuries in the art of being unseen, and had gone so far as to sneak in and out of the most fortified place in existence, the palace of the Devil himself, without being seen—but it was their skill with blades that caught Nico's attention. While Nico could usually accomplish his tasks without confrontation, the guild saw fit to train him in the ways of bow and dagger, so he'd be able to hold his own against some of the best fighters in the realms if the occasion warranted it. This demon, however, was one of the most formidable warriors he'd ever encountered, his knife throws reflecting an accuracy and strength honed by only the most rigorous of training, possibly from the Devil himself. Nico knew he wouldn't last five minutes in a direct fight against them.

Completely immobile and pressed against the brick wall of the alley, Nico was in a hopelessly precarious position. His only chance at getting out of this alive was to keep the demon occupied with conversation, to appeal to their self interest, while he considered his options.

Keeping his voice steady and firm, Nico replied, "My name is Nico, and I am of the Elven people, as you've noticed already. An elf in heaven is uncommon enough to spark momentary interest, maybe a second glance while walking down the street, but a murdered one, in the city of the divine, no less, would attract the attention of Seraphim soldiers across the world. Besides, it's clear your skills in stealth are severely lacking. You won't last the day in an unfamiliar city without being seen, and you certainly can't kill everyone who comes across your path if you hope to accomplish whatever it is you're here for. Must be important if you would risk coming to heaven in the first place. The last of your kind to do so was likely the Devil himself."

16. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Blair raised an eyebrow at the elf's- Nico's- speech. His voice was surprisingly level, and conveyed near centuries of harsh training. A formidable foe, it seemed to be. One who was most likely trained in both combat and evasiveness- a thief, of some sort? Nothing too uncommon, but a creature trained in evasiveness may prove useful to them, in terms of what they were in this Hell forsaken place for.

"You seem to be rather confident in your ability to be able to escape me, without dying, elf. And if what you said is true, all I would have to do is bring you down to Hell and throw you into a fiery pit. It seems to me that you would not be missed. However, if you do as I bid, then I would not have to bring you down to hell."

And not only that, it'll be a wasted trip, and if Master found out that I went back without finding a proper house, master'd have my head.

Blair loosened their grip on the device, falling back slightly in an attempt to study the elf closer. They couldn't see much, with all the shadows hiding his face- Hell was a bright place, no matter what mortals made of it- and they glanced up at the sky. Barely an hour they reached heaven, and they were already spotted. Hopefully, he would be able to bring them around safely...demons did not have a good reputation in heaven. They blamed the mortals for that.

17. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I'm just curious, is this more mythology or more fantasy roleplay? I don't really see any Gods or anything... I don't really have time for roleplays anymore so I probably won't join... I was just wondering kind of. You know. In case I decide to read it at some point. (Another thing I probably won't get around to given my work load, but hey, one never knows.)

#17 Linus, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  18. (I'll start off with a response to Linus. From the way things are progressing so far, this looks to be a sort of fantastical interpretation of the classic heaven-hell dichotomy, with more diverse species and with more mobility between the two worlds. We've started to challenges some of this traditional views on heaven and hell, but it does seem like we're not conforming to any preexisting historical mythologies such as Greek or Norsk. I suppose it's not entirely too late to incorporate characters or themes from mythologies, but in terms of the setting I think we've just made our own universe of sorts. I hope that helped a bit, Linus! Thanks for posting, even if it wasn't to join in! Haha. Also, I very much approve of the Deathly Hallows reference!)

#18 Ambivalence0219, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
  19. (Okay, back to the story!)

Having spent entire days in even more uncomfortable positions than the one he was in now in order to attain the perfect immobility required to be one with the shadows, Nico was physically unfazed by this position. Nonetheless, the lessened pressure against his throat by the sharp barbs of the entrapment device came as a relief. Not only was it considerably easier to breath without lacerating his throat, but it confirmed what Nico had already suspected: This demon was on a mission of the utmost importance to them, and required his assistance enough to spare his life...for now. Nico certainly wasn't naïve enough to think that the demon spared him out of the goodness of their heart, nor did he imagine they wouldn't turn on him in a heartbeat if they thought he would compromise them. Accepting the situation to be the best they could be given the circumstances, Nico turned his attention to the demon.

Nico was already resolute in his decision to uphold the honor of his life debt. While being a smuggler often required him to assume a more negligent approach to moral concerns, even the most despicable of demons would respect a life debt. To suggest otherwise was unthinkable.

"You know the code by which all living things abide, and are well aware that I am in your debt. As such, I will help you navigate through heaven undetected, but direct interference in divine matters is beyond your jurisdiction to ask of me."

This isn't the first I've been in a life debt, nor the first I've been caught in the middle of divine conflict. If I survived the first time, I can do it again.

A quick assessment of the demon's form revealed onyx eyes, auburn hair, and a tail. While Nico's coal-black hair and dark brown eyes were perfectly suited for traveling inconspicuously, there were worse demons to which he could have owed his life. At least their humanoid form, tail excluded, would be easy to work with.

"I'm going to bring you to my residence, but you're going to have to follow my instructions and movements exactly if you want to make it there undiscovered."

20. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Blair's eyebrow twitched at the elf's words. Indeed, he knew what just to say to keep his neck attached to his shoulders. Not just any ordinary thief, then. Something more then that. I'd need to be careful.

"There would be no need for you to stick your nose into any of my business. I shall just need you to bring me around heaven. Discretely."

Although they were less then satisfied to have to follow another's instructions besides their Master, they had no choice. No matter how in denial they were about having admit that they were terrible in stealth- they were a guard demon, after all- following this elf would be to his benefit. And he seemed pretty easy to kill, no matter his training. Blair was trained in Hell, where even the lesser demons would be easily able to take on a well-trained mortal on their own.

"I'm going to bring you to my residence, but you're going to have to follow my instructions and movements exactly if you want to make it there undiscovered."

Blair tsked, and yanked the device away from his neck, hiding it somewhere on their person. "Understood. But you do know what would happen should you sell me out, Nico?" As they felt Nico's eyes studying them, Blair's tailed flicked back and forth with unconscious but sharp, controlled movements, making sure to keep itself away from the ground and making any unnecessary noise.

Maybe the elf would let Blair understand, somewhere down the line, why their Master picked them to scout for a house. Of course, they were going to keep that a private comment. No use letting the elf know more about their private business then needed.