1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stairway to Heaven?

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Dungeon, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Dungeon

I am big into classic rock and such and my (by far) absolute favorite song HAS to Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. It is amazing, and if you have never heard it, go look it up on YouTube and listen to it RIGHT NOW!

Okay, the real reason I am posting this thread is not just to spread the love for Led Zeppelin, but I want to hear other opinions about the meaning of the lyrics. Look them up online or listen the song very carefully and tell me what you think they are about. I have been searching and I truly don't think their is a solid answer so don't be afraid to share your ideas! I would love to hear some other opinions :slight_smile:

BTW, I think the song is about a friend of his that died of a drug overdose, or is at least addicted and in poor condition. Here is some evidence I have for that:
    1. There's a lady who's sure, all that glitters is gold- A twist on an old expression
    2. And she is buying the stairway to heaven- Just think it, it's pretty obvious
    3.When she gets there she knows, If the stores are all closed, With a word she can get what she came for- She is probably going there for drugs
    4. Yes, there are two paths you can go by, But in the long run, There's still time to change the road you're on- Pretty much saying that if you mess up, you can fix your mistakes
    5. And she's buying the stairway to heaven- He again references to this in the last verse of the song

So, that's what I think happened. I think that I forgot some stuff, so feel free to debate why I am wrong or why I am correct.

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I LOOOVE Stairway to Heaven! I haven't looked at all the lyrics in depth until now, but this is my attempt at an interpretation:

The lady referenced in the beginning is representative of humans and how many struggle to have happy lives, while being materialistic and greedy.
    Then it's kind of about how finding the path to a good life is hard and nobody really knows, but supposedly there's some idealized good life people talk about: "And it's whispered that soon, If we all call the tune
    Then the piper will lead us to reason"
    Then towards the rock-and-rolly part at the end it's still talking about the same things but kind of gets more encouraging about it: "There's still time to change the road you're on...
    In case you don't know
    The piper's calling you to join him"

Maybe the piper is like God, or some other force that is supposed to lead people to a happy and meaningful life.