1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool looking bugs

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Katherine, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    There was a thread like this once on another forum I frequently visit that was actually what first got me interested in insects. So I decided to bring it here to EC. :icon_wink

I'm a bug hunter. In other words, I love looking around outside to see what cool insects I can find to take pictures of and to research. I know a lot of people think bugs are weird and creepy, and I actually did for a while too. But once I started learning about some really cool ones, the interesting factor took over the creepy factor. If that makes sense. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The basic point of this thread is to post pictures of any really cool bugs you've seen. I'm guessing that since EC has such a diverse population of members from all over the world, there's tons of cool bugs that you guys see that people from GA (like me) never see. So if you know about some interesting ones, post pictures! :grin:

I'll start with a few that I like:

[​IMG] The luna moth. They're huge and hang out around my porchlights at night every once in a while.

[​IMG] A stag beetle. I know it looks terrifying, but they're not usually aggressive toward humans at all. These are pretty rare in Georgia, but I've seen a couple of them.

[​IMG] And, of course, a praying mantis. Everyone knows about these. :slight_smile:

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome idea!
    We have tons of Phidippus Workmani spiders around where I live in the summer. They are pretty cool spiders, and they jump too.
    [​IMG]

3. RainbowJay

that luna moth is pretty cool, all I get are those giant brown frantic moths D:

[​IMG]

dunno what those are, but they're strange o.o

4. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    Some kind of beetle, but I don't know which kind. *goes to look it up*

Most of the giant brown frantic moth things we get here are just common cicadas. I remember the first time one flew into the house; it scared the life out of me. I'm so used to hearing them all the time, but had never seen one, and it was scary! :lol:

5. OneHatMadder

The Weta!

NZ PRIDE!
    Haha

Attached Files:

• weta.jpg
      weta.jpg
      File size:
      19.7 KB
      Views: