1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have a cat?

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by splattered, Jul 10, 2011.

1. splattered

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think I played too rough with my cat she was acting very affectionate and desperately wanted my attention but I think she was down and we were playing very affectionately for a while but I think I played a little too rough and now she's under my bed in hiding and she is purring very loudly. She responded when I called her name (which is a first) but quickly jumped off the bed into hiding. I don't want to disturb the bond I have with this majestic animal lol we came together at the roughest point of my life. Without even asking permission or knowing if this thing had rabies I rescued this 6 week old stray kitten left for dead off the back of my dads car lot after crying with it for a while thinking I could find it a good home. We'll we both share the same great home now and that brings you up to speed to tonight and I'm concerned she doesn't seem herself lately and requires a great more deal of attention than before. Could she be going through the same sort of bipolar rapid cycle that I go through every 2 years. In my case its been offset by a new pill that does me wonders. But I can't help but think my cat is depressed and if I wasn't on sapphris I would be just as depressed and we'd be crying in the rain together again 2 years later lol. I'm just crazy but seriously I was never even a cat person until "mittens" entered my life. Can a psychological bond exist between a man and a house pet? Could this be gods work? Bringing me Mittens when I needed someone that didn't try to understand who I was or what I was going through just loved me because I needed to be loved. Should I even believe in God? thats debatable so please don't debate but I'm a little worried somethings up with my cat. Also I refuse to give my cat catnip because I'm afraid thats like just as bad as getting your animal high. Not saying theirs anything wrong with blowing poison into your property's face I just wont do it though lol.

2. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    If she's never been to the vet before and you're worried something is wrong, maybe now is a good time to take her. But from your description, I would say not to worry. Cats are moody, that's just how they are. I have three, and one sleeps on the foot of my bed every night. If I accidentally fall asleep on the couch and she has to sleep by herself, she avoids me the whole next day :lol: Don't worry too much!

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    take the kitty to the vet, but cat's are weird. They have mood swings. My cat will be loving on me then be done and won't come near me for the rest of the day

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cats purr to calm and soothe themselves. So when they are happy (you're petting them and paying attention to them) they will purr, but they will also purr when they are in pain or injured.

It might be sensible to get her checked out just to be sure.

5. mischa91

If you're worried then take your kitty to the vet. My cats act differently at different times of the day, sometime they love being around me and other times they attack my feet for no reason.

6. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If she's purring in that situation, she's calming and comforting herself, cats do that, at Chip said.

Cats are generally tough cookies and she'll bounce back even after a bit of a rough play session... unless you did do something ultra nasty, like squeezing her too hard or pulling limbs, but I guess she'd have made more of a fuss if you had.

They can pick up on moods of the house, as in, if you're feeling rushed and panicked, they'll be all rushed, uneased and jittery; likewise, if you're sad, they'll be all down too. I've found if it's windy outside, my cats will just go crazy. I don't think it's a physiological bond as such, it's just that they're very receptive to the people around them.

Catnip's not poisonous nor is it a true drug; it's closely related to mint, in fact some cats will get similar changes in behaviour when they smell mint. Not all cats find it nice, one of mine doesn't respond to it at all. Cats can not get addicted to it, it just evokes a mood of temporary euphoria with no side effects and you don't need to get loose catnip either, lots of toys can come with it inside, like catnip mice and such like.

Also something that just popped into my head, if she's acting odd lately and you've yet to take her to the vet to be neutered, she *might* be pregnant, but you'd have noticed a lot more odd behaviour from her if she was. I think is this very unlikely though, when females are in heat, they yowl a lot to get attention from Tom cats and all that jazz.

7. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How come this is in the Fun and Games section?

8. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love felines and if i could i would keep a tiger. but i have to settle with a cat. She is about 3 years old and let me tell you, she has an attitude.

She comes for attention when she wants or if not, you won;t be able to give it to her. She playes nicely at first but gradualy it becomes harder until eventualy she scratch the living hell out of me, and bites me very very hard but not enough to bite through my skin. Sometimes she is so jelous of the other cat and when you give her attention she will go and openly attack the other cat.

The one place where she grew up there were two dogs and four other cats... she attacked the other cats, specialy if they decide to jump on my bed. The dogs, ok its not big dogs, mostly stray that the landlord picked up. She playes mostly with them.

I will advice you like the rest to take the cat to the vet and if it is a female to spade it or you will eventualy sit with a house full of cats.

They are very tempramental animals but they are also very good at human phycology, they love to makes us do what they want and not let them do what we want. There are people who will argue this fact... but those who has cats and loves them will agree with me.

If i were you i would go and lay down on the floor with my hand underneath the bed as close to the cat as possible. If she is not to deep underneath the bed, then you can just touch her hair and eventualy gradualy move up the body untill you get to the ears. all animals love it when you scratch them behind the ear or below it. They also love it if you scratch their back, especially near the tail area.

if she gets older she will also start loving being scratched underneath her face.

her behaviour could also be a phycological reason, something happened to her before you got to her and once a situation becomes similar to what she was in, she will go into hiding.

I know our other cat a male, my hubby spade him at home by putting a elastic band around its balls... its not human and we argued about it alot, but the deed was done. now the cat is mortilay afraid of humans, specialy once that doesn't come into his environment alot. If me and hubby start to fight with one another, he is out of the window or underneath the bed or lazyboy. if someone comes with a loud mouth he will dissapear just as quick. Now adays he is more trusting of my hubby, but i am the one he usualy comes to when he seeks attention.

I have this kind of animal thing... i can always walk into anyones yard, no matter what kind of dogs or animals they may have and what kind of temprament they have and the animals will always be friendly towards me. some of my friends tell me that if i leave their house, their animals will search for me. My best friend had this big big i mean realy big dog and not even he could get near it. But me and the dog formed such a bond that later on only i could feed it. The dog refused food given to him by anyone else.

9. splattered

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks guys. She's back to norm lately. Upon adopting the cat we took it to the vet had it checked out immunized fixed and my Mother made me have her declawed. But she still has some of her back claws to defend herself if need be but she's in safe hands. And heatqueen sorry wrong section.

10. 4alex6

Good to hear! My cat also goes through really strange mood swings and I normally let her get back to normal on her own, that's how cats are. :slight_smile: